Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Adding propane system to bus?

Hello everyone! My wife and I embarked on this skoolie project beck on June thus year and have run into or first real dilemma.

We want to setup a propane system (ASME tank, running pipe, and getting it inspected). Only problem is, the RV standards book does not clearly identify maximum tank size in gallons or even lbs of propane for an AMSE (they cover DOT cylinders). We want to put a 29 gal propane tank but not sure if that's ok.

Please help.

L.Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Benjamin View Post
Hello everyone! My wife and I embarked on this skoolie project beck on June thus year and have run into or first real dilemma.

We want to setup a propane system (ASME tank, running pipe, and getting it inspected). Only problem is, the RV standards book does not clearly identify maximum tank size in gallons or even lbs of propane for an AMSE (they cover DOT cylinders). We want to put a 29 gal propane tank but not sure if that's ok.

Please help.
Ask these guys that make them.

Welcome to the Forum.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Year: 1996
Coachwork: N/A
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 20
From what I've read everything up to 100 lb tank is acceptable so long as proper installation procedures are followed (vertical mount etc.) This may also vary depending on your own state laws.
thelovebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
I believe the Blue Bird Wanderlodges came with 45 gallon tanks if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Benjamin View Post

Please help.
They don't cover ASME because you shouldn't be using them. DOT is for traveling on public roads. ASME is for the tank behind your stick and brick house.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
FWIW I believe many if not most/all permanently installed motorhome tanks are ASME not DOT.
https://rvshare.com/blog/the-ultimat...ing-or-buying/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ASME is the standard that all tanks or pressurized vessels are to be designed constructed and tested to. Including some specifically including federal DOT standards.
Propane tanks,fuel tanks.
Federal DOT is the minimum standard regardless of which state that says what ASME standard the tank is to be built to,how a tank is to be secured into,onto around a vehicle on a federal roadway.
Yor state can add/improve there own rules to the federal standards but they can not be less.
A regular BBQ grill propane cylinder is DOT approved and covered under federal DOT as to how it should be secured.
I have not personally read it but have been told that if you are using the grill cylinders that they have to be disconnected on the road?
I know in NC that I see campers all the time of all types and sizes with double cylinders secured on the tongue with a neat simple idea/solution but I haven't seen to many disconnected.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Several years ago there was an accident where a tractor trailer collided with a travel trailer . The propane tanks ignited then the diesel tanks on the tractor. By the time they put the fire out there wasn't anything left of both rigs but the frames and the components. I'd have some kind of reinforced cage not just brackets holding the tanks to the tongue or frame. This happened in Eden NC. I think the laws got stricter due to it.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

NFPA rules apply. They'll have all your answers.

That said, Tunnels will be the next factor. Tunnels that drop down (Baltimore MD under the river) you can't carry propane. Tunnels high in the middle (most mountain passes) are OK to transport but must be disconnected. Propane is heavier than air and can collect in the tunnels.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
crashmonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, propane regulations