Old 03-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Is anyone actually taking this seriously?!? I have a real hard time believing anyone in a 18000# vehicle is getting 25mpg (I'm not even going to address 37 mpg) let alone one with the aerodynamics of a phone booth. The aerodynamics of a bus are horrible because of the many things listed here (underside drag, frontal area, etc) not to mention the turbulence caused by anything with a straight flat side as well as the trailing turbulent stream of air off the back of the thing. We don't slice throught the wind, we crash broadside into it! Making any kind of serious difference in fuel economy would require a serious redesigning of the entire vehicle more resembling a supository than a brick. If you expect to make any honest experiments you need to broaden you test milage more than 50 miles or so. I bet you would see similar gains (or losses) depending on the day of the week, the temperature, the wind direction and speed of traffic, did your wheels travel the exact same path, etc. This is not a scientific study. A scientist searches for the truth by isolating the variables (say with a wind tunnel) and is able to repeat the numbers over and over to prove the truth. He doesn't guess about anything like how much gas is left. He doesn't try to prove he is right. Put the lawn edging away and focus on a more attainable goal, like adding simulators to make it look a little less ghetto . . .
P.S. Eric, please don't take this too personal. You seem like a very likable inteligent and creative guy and have done some good work on your bus. I just can't keep my big mouth shut sometimes . . .
Excalibrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibrate
Is anyone actually taking this seriously?!? I have a real hard time believing anyone in a 18000# vehicle is getting 25mpg (I'm not even going to address 37 mpg) let alone one with the aerodynamics of a phone booth. . .
Re-read the post. . .he's talking about his JEEP! But yes, while I agree that there is a LOT of drag on a bus, there is some merit to all of this. Nascar takes a brick and aerodynamicizes it, one can do the same to a bus to a certain extent.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
I was reading a school bus industry magazine yesterday and they had a picture of a modified school bus with a lowered bumper (actually a doubled-up bumper) and covered rear wheel wells on it! Even though the accompaning article didn't mention it, it appeared that they were doing it for aerodynamic reasons. Curious what kind of results they were getting...
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #44
Skoolie

Dunno about you guys but 99.999% of my driving is on the interstate, want to improve your aerodynamics follow a semi or another big rig close let them cut the wind, best of all is its free.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I'd like to follow those trucks, but I can't keep up with a hot series 60 or C15
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
I'd like to follow those trucks, but I can't keep up with a hot series 60 or C15
Their are slow running semis all over the place just look for one, some company's make their drivers run 55 mph
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Aerodynamics / MPG increase - up 16%

I was inspired by all this talk....especially since my bus is sucking cash out of my wallet like a Vacuum..so I installed an airdam on my '86 Bluebird with scrap 2x4s and 20 dollars worth of Plastic siding. It looks pretty cool, but you look closely it looks like a hack job. I dont care....as long as it doesnt fall off.

While we're talking Aerodynamics......has anyone thought about streamlining the front of their buses? The windsheild comes up at a 90degree angle tothe hood....but i was considering putting in a giant plastic windshield....or even rebuilding the front. Probably not practical.....but has anyone got any thoughts?
timecrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #48
Bus Nut

look close at a UPS van, they have looked long and hard at fuel economy for at least 20 years, if it pays out over the vehicle life they probably incorporate it into their design.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Huh...so my message is under his SN...that's weird.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

To keep it simple and respect the aesthetics of a bus, why not cut the bottom off the front bumper, the top off another bumber, and weld the two together to created one large front bumber?
Homeskooled is offline   Reply With Quote