Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Air Brake/AC for Pneumatic Tools?

Is there a way to use the air brake tanks to also run pneumatic tools?

Also:
I pulled out the AC system and have two compressors still sitting on the engine.
Is there a way to turn the old AC compressors into air compressors to run power tools?

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Bus Geek

AC can mean alternating current

in this context I read as Air Compressor.

Then you have aircon. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
Is there a way to use the air brake tanks to also run pneumatic tools? Also:
I pulled out the AC system and have two compressors still sitting on the engine. Is there a way to turn the old AC compressors into air compressors to run power tools?
I wouldn't recommend trying to use A/C compressors for such a purpose. They are a different design and if I'm not mistaken recirculate a small amount of oil with the refrigerant within the system. Not saying it can't be done, you just may not be happy with the results.

Air brake systems have a governor cut-out set at 90-120 psi. There is a blow-off valve if the system exceeds 150 psi. It might be possible if your air tools don't pull more pressure than the compressor can deliver, or more volume than the tank can supply (these tanks are pretty small and will discharge quickly). However, these systems are known for building a bit of water and oil in the supply tank, which is why there is a drain cock that has to be opened to rid the system of these contaminants. Again, not saying it CAN'T be done, but the results may not be what is desired.

FWIW, I do know that there are hoses for airing up tires that are made to connect to a Class 8 tractor's service line, which can deliver full supply pressure to the trailer. This is very temporary use, though.

I'm not sure what your aim is here, but if you're wanting to do more than just have temporary air supply for working on your rig, you might think about using the existing brackets to install a made-for-the-purpose compressor, and plumbing a second, larger tank for the supply volume you will need. Keep in mind, though, fuel costs a lot more than electricity. If you just need a temporary air supply for working on your rig, I'd just buy an air compressor with an appropriate-sized tank. Just my $0.02.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
The problem isn't so much pressure as volume. Any kind of grinder/sander/saw usus a large volume of air. An impact uses less volume but, you would still spend a lot of time waiting for it to catch up.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Oh man! Engine-driven compressed air! I’ve been envious of those who have adapted their air brakes to run tools.

A quick search comes up with a company named Underhood that makes add on compressed air systems.

And then I thought; how am I running that when I’m working on my engine?

Still feels worthwhile to find a compressed air solution to run air tools. Might need to go with battery powered impact wrench and ratchet.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I did it on mine, tapped into the lines out the back of the air tank. It does have it's limitations as far as the air needed for some tools. But it's handy for other things like filling tires and such.
Attached Thumbnails
20190619_142046.jpg   20190611_145227.jpg   20190608_171820.jpg   20190608_171941.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I did it on mine, tapped into the lines out the back of the air tank. It does have it's limitations as far as the air needed for some tools. But it's handy for other things like filling tires and such.
Well done!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I've use my truck's air supply for all sorts of air tool usage. No reason you can't do the same with a bus (and I will at some point.) Just have to be mindful of air supply and supply/recharge rates, but it will work.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Bus Nut

This bus has two Air Conditioning pumps. I'm thinking they can keep an auxiliary tank filled up pretty good. As far as lubrication, I'd put oil in them. From what I've read, they are usually lubricated by the oil in the AC system, and I'd just need to put oil in intake the line.
Problem is figuring out how to do it!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a small Harbor Fright dual-tank 120VAC compressor that's connected through an inline filter (that takes a surprising amount of water out of the air on humid days) to the bus's accessories air tank for the seat/wipers/horn/door/etc. This air supply also feeds three air outlets around the bus for inflating tires and running air tools. I put in a valved connection between the accessories tank and the bus's brake tanks so I can air up the entire bus from my electric compressor or from outside air. On the electric compressor's tank drain I have a quick-connect Industrial connector and an adapter with an Automotive connector, allowing a tow truck to easily connect its air to my bus after I open the Accessories-to-Brake valve. So far, so good.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I guess since I joined this forum for information sharing, I should start to share.

Yes you can use your bus air brake system for running air tools.

One of the service trucks I used to have used the truck air system.

As stated above, you need the volume.

My shop truck was a Freightliner FL80 4X4 with a 3126 cat. When they built the truck, my boss was being cheap and didn't want to spend the money on a separate compressor package. So the company that built the service body installed a 60 gallon air tank and plumbed it into the truck air system.

So here is the deal, it worked but depending on what I was doing it could be a little slow.

I would always have the truck up on a high idle, usually in the 1000 rpm area, worked night shift so also running a ton of lights, all incandescent. As long as I wasn't using too much air, it would keep up not to bad. So that would be a 1/2 impact most of the time. You just learned to undo a hand full of bolts, wait for the air drier to fire off, do another batch, wait for the air drier...

If I wanted to use a drill or an air grinder then you had to run the RPM's up to about 2000.

I did run a 1" impact off the system. Have the engine at high idle, run a bolt, wait for the air drier to fire off, run a bolt, wait for the air drier...

The air drier unloading means that the compressor has reached its governed setting for those of you who are wondering.

The cost of fuel to run that truck like that day after day, year after year would have been incredible. Putting a different system in would have made way more sense.

If you run it off the bus air tanks, the tank volume is not there so you will only get a short blast of the higher pressure air. Also don't forget that the size and length of the hose are all factors.

Honestly, my last several years as a mechanic before I retired, I was running cordless impacts, drills and grinders for about 90% of my jobs.
I had to drag my 3/4 impact out for the wheels on our trucks, my cordless would not quite do the 500 foot pounds needed to remove the tires.
Today's cordless tools are getting to be pretty decent.

As for using the old air conditioning compressors, nope.

As far as the underhood compressors, they rock. make HUGE air but what a pain in the butt, and very pricey. Have had 3 trucks with them over the years..
I was field service for years, so 1" impacts, Arc Air torches (heavy gouging in thick steel, you need huge amounts of air), air lances for blowing out radiators and cleaning things out/off.

The latest ones we used were Hydraulic PTO driven, remote mounted. They were nice. Could hide them just about anywhere. Like a skoolie, you are always looking for places to hide things on a shop truck.
Wornout Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
This bus has two Air Conditioning pumps. I'm thinking they can keep an auxiliary tank filled up pretty good. As far as lubrication, I'd put oil in them. From what I've read, they are usually lubricated by the oil in the AC system, and I'd just need to put oil in intake the line.
Problem is figuring out how to do it!
in days gone by I'm used the compressor from refrigerators/freezers as air compressors - they don't pump a lot of air
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Thanks everybody.

I saw this video and it seems like a doable thing. There's a good amount of humor in it, but seems like a sound option, especially with two compressors, and installing a tank for them.

Also these articles:

On-Board Air for Jeeps Using the York Compressor

https://articles.jeepforum.com/York_On-board_air

https://www.quadratec.com/c/referenc...tems-explained
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornout Wrench View Post
You just learned to undo a hand full of bolts, wait for the air drier to fire off, do another batch, wait for the air drier

The cost of fuel to run that truck like that day after day, year after year would have been incredible. Putting a different system in would have made way more sense.
Wasted labor costs even more so.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Wasted labor costs even more so.
Oh, I ran that past the boss, but he was one of those guys that unless it was his idea, it was wrong.

So we made do.
Wornout Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Is there a way to use the air brake tanks to also run pneumatic tools?.......
I did exactly that on my U-RV
also used 1/2 inch diameter hose & fittings so I. Could run my 3/4 drive impact.
I put a quick connect at the rear bumper.
Works like a charm.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:32 PM   #17
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I came here looking to see if the bus’s air tanks could power a 20 ton pneumatic bottle Jack. Not sure the CFM on them but they require around 120psi to lift the rated load. Anybody have experience with using those with your bus air?
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:40 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
I came here looking to see if the bus’s air tanks could power a 20 ton pneumatic bottle Jack. Not sure the CFM on them but they require around 120psi to lift the rated load. Anybody have experience with using those with your bus air?

the bus air systems typically cycle from 90-120 PSI (typical bendix D2 governer on / off range).. most of the bendix compressors are 12-15 CFM and so can very much power air tools.. of course youd have to have the bus running to do it.. so if im looking at running tools used to make repairs i wouldnt want to rely on the air system being functional.

in case to jack it up for repair I wouldnt want it running if I didnt have to.. now if your jacks are just going to be for stabilizing at a campsite then you could technically have the bus running when jacking it.. but if im going to jack a wheel off the ground I typically wouldnt want it running in case the transmission for some reason decided to engage (even with the spring brake on)... the likiliehood is obviously small but its in the back of my mind..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:54 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
in case to jack it up for repair I wouldnt want it running if I didnt have to.. now if your jacks are just going to be for stabilizing at a campsite then you could technically have the bus running when jacking it.. but if im going to jack a wheel off the ground I typically wouldnt want it running in case the transmission for some reason decided to engage (even with the spring brake on)... the likiliehood is obviously small but its in the back of my mind..
There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not touching it with a 39-1/2' pole

Wouldn't the air volume in the tank(s) after fully charging be sufficient to do the job with the engine off (assuming no leaks in the line)? But yeah - totally agree - I would not want to be running the bus & jacking it at the same time!

FWIW, we bought a Torin "Big Red" 20-ton bottle jack, that can be used either manually or pneumatically. We have yet to use it, so whether it works as we envision (or works at all) I couldn't say. But the idea was to use the onboard tanks to actuate it, and if that failed, we have the manual backup. Note to self: don't forget a breaker bar.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #20
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
That’s a good point Cadillac. Didn’t think about not wanting to be under a running bus (for multiple reasons). May be worthwhile to bring the smallest 120psi pancake compressor I can find and run it off the house batteries if necessary.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to get the front of my bluebird jacked up with one manual 20ton Jack and some 4x4s. Probably had a total of 300+ pumps of the Jack and boy was my arm sore at the end of the day. A pancake compressor became worth the space it’d take up after that lol
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote