Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: ?? Help!
Engine: Ford, need details!
Angle grinder attachments for paint removal?

Hi there,
I am a metalworker who is handy with the tools of my trade, but I am totally new to using them in this application. I also know nothing about geary stuff and would be incredibly excited if one of you Western North Carolinians ever wanted to come take a look at my bus under the hood and tell me something about it. Anyhowwww....

Can I remove all the old ugly yellow and black paint with the wire cup angle grinder attachment? I realize this would take a lot of time, but I'm ok with that if it gets the results I'm hoping for. One reason I am interested in this option is because I may want to just leave the whole body colored silver and apply some sort of patina along with hand-wrought metalwork welded onto the outside, completely instead of painting it over again.

Please advise! I'd love to be able to just hit it with the tools I already know best and own. Am I going to ruin something? Thanks!

--Q&A

PS: This is my first post, and the site is not allowing me to search. Pardon me if my question is super redundant.

quillandanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: Angle grinder attachments for paint removal?

Why do you want to take it off? Just scuff it up and paint over it. In the places where it's bad the cup brush will do just fine. You could use a less aggressive one to scuff the paint. I think if you take it off and paint some sort of clear, IMO you will end up with very uneven coloring. if you do any body work and use bondo those places will be pink or blue.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #3

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: ?? Help!
Engine: Ford, need details!

I was thinking of doing a pretty crazy patina on it anyway, involving some combo of brass wire brushing and blackening. But you're probably right and it would probably be a PITA. But I may still decide to do it to just the big lateral stripe and the top. What attachments do you suggest for both the scuffing and the total removal? Thanks again.
quillandanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #4

Year: 1991
Coachwork: National
Chassis: OshKosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 29

The disc similar to the one in the link below are good. The screw on ones are the best. They can be had for about $10.

http://www.eastwood.com/cleaning-disc-7 ... 7AodpUQAvg
hotdogpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I think I know what kind of patina you are planning. That is a lot of work as a bus is much much larger than a vintage car or truck. Perhaps you would be happy just doing the metal patina on part and painting the rest? That would allow the paint to showcase the patinaed metal. I cannot speak for the others but our 1986 Blue Bird All American is heavy guage steel on the exterior. You will, of course, need to protect the patina from the effects the weather and road.

Where in Western Carolina are you? We are former residents of Franklin (small town about 1 hour west of Asheville and 30 miles north of the NC/GA state line).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

what is considered western N.C.? Asheville,Marion....?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Raleigh (NC State Capitol) considers Asheville and all of Buncombe County to be Western NC because they don't think anything exists West of the Buncombe County line.

Years ago, the state rep for the area I grew up in once commented to my dad that some high up big wig politician in the state capital asked what area he represented, when he said where the fool said, "I thought that was in TN" and the guy was serious. The rep said it explained a lot. It really hasn't changed all that much. The only time Raleigh notices western NC is to decide they need to pay more taxes.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote