Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Basic step by step guide from gut to finish

Hi Everyone,

So complete beginner and was wondering if anyone out there could give a step by step guide from there experience, the process from the gut to the finish so I can avoid making costly mistakes on this project I will be starting.

Also any advice on the make, size, engine or price of the bus I should get with the view of using the completed project for long distance travel, but also being comfortable inside would be hugely helpful and much appreciate.

Thanks

Nick.

nickbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Hey Nick,

Give this thread a look over - only two pages, but may give you an idea where to start!

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/yo...der-19039.html

Best of luck
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Check out people's build threads, that is where you will find step by step guides, or as close as it gets. I'm not far along on mine, but I'm trying to document all the steps for personal records, and so at the end it will be a step by step guide until completion that others can look through
Old 04-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Skoolie

I'm still building my plan of attack, and gathering materials, so take this for what it's worth...

I have been considering this very topic, and I am not 100% sure I have it down right, but here goes my thought process...

#1. Obtain bus and of course place to work on it. This is probably the most important step!
#2. Gut interior. Stripping seats, flooring, walls and ceiling.
#3. Fix any and all mechanical issues, and any / all rust issues. I expect there to be rust in the floor on almost all used busses.
#4. Strip / remove any / all "school bus markings" stops signs, those funny crossing guard bar things etc...
#5. IF you are going to do a roof raise, or remove windows and skin over, do it now.
#6. Once bus is closed back up after roof raise, or window removal / skinning... Insulate walls and ceiling. Using foam board AND spray foam, or spray foam only. Let your budget decide.
#7. Add flooring stringers, foam board insualtion, and decking.
#8. Cover walls / ceiling with your choide of materials. I will likely be using beadboard.
#9. Rough in framing IF you are going to be doing walls. At the very least for the bed(s).
#10. Rough in bathroom / shower.
#11. Rough in water, and gas plumbing including water heater, fresh, gray, and black tanks. Tank rough in may happen earlier along the process now that I think about it...
#12. Rough in electrical. This includes any planned datacom wiring, antennae, and repeaters like a WiFi Ranger and Category 6 cabling. Also build in your camera system if one is to be used.
#13. Install or custom build cabinets.
#14. Build / install counter top.
#15. Finish bathroom. Make all connections and test.
#16. Finish kitchen. Add stove, fridge, sink, make all connections and test.
#17. Build out / finish bedroom(s).
#18. Build out living / dining and seating areas of the bus.
#19. Planning a custom entry door? Build and install it now.
#20. Prime and paint the bus.
#21. Add HVAC. I probably placed this too late in the sequence... Rethink this...
#22. We've already done the electrical right? Remove the hatches, Replace with Fan-Tastic fans and covers.
#23. Finish out any remaining itnerior items aside from the next step.
#24. Customize to suit your needs drivers compartment, co pilot seating, dashboard etc...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Fill out your profile for more accurate responses.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning units, electrical, heating exhaust help, insulating, plumbing