Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: bluebird
Basic wiring

Thank you all for the useful info on this site. I am currently running the wires through our 90 Bluebird and just wanted to make sure that I am running the cables cables correctly. I am coming from the source to a light switch that is then branching out to a light of course, but also continuing from the switch to another recepticle as well. At the switch I have all the white wires tied together from all three cables (not connected to anything), all the black wires brought together to the top right of the switch (pigtailed). This is where I get confused, In my basement and online I see a red cable going to the bottom right of the switch, but I dont have the extra red wire running in my cable. If I don't have the red wire what do I connect to the bottom right of the switch to make this work?
I DO NOT want the switch to turn the recepticle on and off. Thank you for your help.
Dennis

chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Basic wiring

Is the switch in your basement one of a pair that can turn the light on/off? What I mean is, are there two switches for one light? That would explain the extra wire, so that either switch can turn the light on and off regardless of the position of the other. If you are wiring one switch to one light you won't need the red wire. Hopefully I haven't made this more confusing.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

Year: 1990
Coachwork: bluebird
Re: Basic wiring

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. What we ended up doing is connecting all the wires: coming from the main / wires going to the switch / and the wires continuing after the light (going to other outlet recepticles) in an seperate electric box and then directing wires to the light (from the switch of course) and the other ones to the next outlet recepticle. Does this sound correct to you guys? This electrical stuff makes my head spin. Thanks for your input.
Dennis F.
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote