Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
We had a pop up camper with no toilet so i have never had to deal with the clean out/ removal / dumping. So i have been researching this to see what we wanted to do. So when I was first reading this thread I figured the prices are probably very close in comparison. The prices you guys have shelled out for me tells me a lot. Of the reasons people go with compost I did not see the reply of the "smelly nasty hose" to be high on the list. I figured the price was close enough one could go either way but seams there is a large price diff so the feeling of the "smelly nasty hose" is strong to shell out more $$ for it.

Side note... When you guys talk about having to dump the tank and deal with that I always get the picture of Robin Williams in RV holding two hoses together with a Y....

Thank you for the info this will help.

livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
We had a pop up camper with no toilet so i have never had to deal with the clean out/ removal / dumping. So i have been researching this to see what we wanted to do. So when I was first reading this thread I figured the prices are probably very close in comparison. The prices you guys have shelled out for me tells me a lot. Of the reasons people go with compost I did not see the reply of the "smelly nasty hose" to be high on the list. I figured the price was close enough one could go either way but seams there is a large price diff so the feeling of the "smelly nasty hose" is strong to shell out more $$ for it.

Side note... When you guys talk about having to dump the tank and deal with that I always get the picture of Robin Williams in RV holding two hoses together with a Y....

Thank you for the info this will help.
Use a Macerating pump & you can use a garden hose to dump your tank & it's easier to store.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
a lot of folks wont move there bus very often, and plan to live off the grid, so having holding tanks is not a good option for them, therefore a composting toilet makes sense, others like myself travel, and boondock, or stay at campgrounds with full hoop ups., we boondock as much as possible, then when its time to dump we will stay at a camp ground, dump, fill fresh water, do laundry etc. then head out again.
Dumping is simple, hook your 3'' hose to your valve, dump black tank first, close valve dump grey tank, what ever is in the hose from black tank is gone, then rinse out your hose, tuck it away and off you go, no big deal.
gbstewart
Old 05-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #64
Skoolie

So we are still researching a lot of stuff. I went threw the thread again and saw the WA state law that has to have the holding tanks for title transfer to motorhome. I was pulling parts of an old motorhome and the guy told me parks require the black tanks and all that. So my question is... For those that have the composting toilets and you go to park (state or privet) has anyone had any problems with them when they see your not hooked up and when you take a bag of dirt to the trash can? Or do they not care?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Alabama has no inspection requirements, in fact, I "inspected" my own at the DMV, as the clerk asked me to go write down the VIN(the only inspection required)

I have never had any trouble at a campground, maybe because I have not stayed at many, or because none were uptight. As long as you are disposing of your compost in a responsible manner, I find it hard to believe anyone would have an issue. If they do have an issue, you may be in the wrong place.

If you DO run into problems, remember, you always have that magic device that transports you into another universe? The key?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #66
Skoolie

Cool. Thanks. Our idea is taking the kids to diff state parks and what not. I just wasn't sure if they would be cool with the bag of dirt in the trash can. I like the idea of the composting toilet because of more freedom. Probably sound dumb but in those places you don't have the tanks so were do you dump the pee?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
A campground always has an outhouse too for those whose pop-ups or tent or whatever don't have a toilet facility. I suppose you could discretely carry a pitcher of lemonade to the loo as needed.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #68
Skoolie

I've been researching this as well, and stumbled across these plans for a super affordable, easy to build, urine diverting composting toilet: RandomThoughts on Triloboats, sailboats & Kung Fu: December 2013

After showing my husband, he suggested I build it early on when converting the bus and use it a few times to see if the smell bothers me - that way, there's still time to switch to a traditional RV toilet, and we won't have spent too much money giving it a go. I plan to also add some ventilation and a little fan to help keep the compost a little drier and less smelly.

People with composting toilets generally report that the urine is the smelliest part to dispose of - some suggested keeping a spray bottle of diluted vinegar next to the toilet to spray off the diverter after use. I'm not sure if that's to help counter the odor, or just for general cleanliness. I also read that ashes from a wood burning stove work really well for absorbing odor in a composting toilet - has anyone here tried it? There's an overview of various composting materials here: Bucket Toilets: Our Verdict (and Advice) After a Year of Using Ours

Hope that helps someone! If I try this out, I'll let you know how it goes.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: International 392 V-8 gas
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I live near a fishing access w/an outhouse. Compost freezes here in winter so I just take the mix there and pour it in the vault. I get odd looks from some fishermen but it works for me
chardog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Nice read!
This was going to be our first "go-to" solution for simplicity and $$$, but due to space constraints to hold the "filler", we had to go with a more compact port-a-potty type of design.

I had read in other threads that cedar sawdust makes for excellent filler
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #71
Skoolie

Thanks everyone. I checked those two links out. Some good reading there. I'll just remember to take the pitcher of lemonade next time I run to the outhouse.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #72

I still run a grey water tank and I connect when in a camp ground. Never had a problem.
buslife4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Done deal. I just placed my order for a Nature's Head composting toilet. As I live in Billings and the distributor is, allegedly, in Bozeman, I should get it sometime before the first frost by way of Buster Brown. I guess I just got tired of having to place Mother Nature on hold until I could get to a convenient facility.

Will let you know further developments.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #74
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Done deal. I just placed my order for a Nature's Head composting toilet. As I live in Billings and the distributor is, allegedly, in Bozeman, I should get it sometime before the first frost by way of Buster Brown. I guess I just got tired of having to place Mother Nature on hold until I could get to a convenient facility.

Will let you know further developments.
What makes this one (natures head) worth the extra couple $100 vs the other composting toilets? I have seen this one and one other at the $995 $1000. The others around $5-$600 or less. I know you get what you pay for just thought I'd ask.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #75
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
What makes this one (natures head) worth the extra couple $100 vs the other composting toilets? I have seen this one and one other at the $995 $1000. The others around $5-$600 or less. I know you get what you pay for just thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Google the comparisons for the models you are looking at. Hell, you may be able to build your own based on the info out there!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Google the comparisons for the models you are looking at. Hell, you may be able to build your own based on the info out there!
DIY is the way!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Thanks
this one keeps the urine separate, from what i read this is the best way to have a composting toliet.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

SD, I love your avatar.

The Nature's Head toilet arrived yesterday evening, sometime between 1315 and 1715. Doncha just love it when they can't nail down a delivery time? Anyway, I specifically put in the address instructions to deliver it to the E-Door on the bus. Where did UPS drop the package? Approximately 500 yards away at the owner's office! Gee! Why do I have handicapped plates on all of my vehicles if I don't need them?

I ended up balancing the package on the seat of my power scooter while driving over rough ground to the bus. Unlocked the E-door, then got back out and opened the box. Felt like Christmas! Mind you, the package only weighed in at 26 lbs, but it is BULKY! Got it out of the box (everything was packed inside of the device) and hoisted it into the bus. Then, broke down the box and put it in the basement. About this time, it started raining - heavily!

Inside, I decided to wait until after dinner before I examined the commode more closely. I had to attach the spider handle to the agitator (no biggie, the Allen wrench is included) and remove everything else from below. I still haven't fastened it to the floor, but that's a matter of time. Read and reread the instruction manual (all of 16 pages) over a stiff root beer. I haven't christened the beastie yet....

I did have to buy a bag of peat moss from the local HD. Nicely, they offer a 10% discount to veterans (you gotta ask!). They even helped put that into my Suburban. I didn't go to the other Big Box store (begins with an "L") because two days before in their home & garden center, a COPPERHEAD (yes, boys & girls, a SNAKE) dropped from one of their saplings onto a customer AND BIT THE CUSTOMER!

Anywho, it appears to be vacuum formed plastic of substantial thickness. I think I can paint it to match or complement the interior décor of Brunhilde. Maybe make it look like old oak? I can see that it will hold up to a lot of use. Inside, there is a flapper, manually operated, that closes off the solid area. The liquid area funnels down into a 2 gallon jug in front. They even included a spray bottle (small) that the user fills with a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water to be used to remove Klingons from the bowl sides. I'd recommend getting a bigger one. They recommend wiping down the outside and inside with the same 1:1 mixture and just plain paper towels. Cleaning out the urine collector is by a simple rinse with the same mix or with dishwashing liquid.

Next: The SHOWER!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #79
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
SD, I love your avatar.

The Nature's Head toilet arrived yesterday evening, sometime between 1315 and 1715. Doncha just love it when they can't nail down a delivery time? Anyway, I specifically put in the address instructions to deliver it to the E-Door on the bus. Where did UPS drop the package? Approximately 500 yards away at the owner's office! Gee! Why do I have handicapped plates on all of my vehicles if I don't need them?

I ended up balancing the package on the seat of my power scooter while driving over rough ground to the bus. Unlocked the E-door, then got back out and opened the box. Felt like Christmas! Mind you, the package only weighed in at 26 lbs, but it is BULKY! Got it out of the box (everything was packed inside of the device) and hoisted it into the bus. Then, broke down the box and put it in the basement. About this time, it started raining - heavily!

Inside, I decided to wait until after dinner before I examined the commode more closely. I had to attach the spider handle to the agitator (no biggie, the Allen wrench is included) and remove everything else from below. I still haven't fastened it to the floor, but that's a matter of time. Read and reread the instruction manual (all of 16 pages) over a stiff root beer. I haven't christened the beastie yet....

I did have to buy a bag of peat moss from the local HD. Nicely, they offer a 10% discount to veterans (you gotta ask!). They even helped put that into my Suburban. I didn't go to the other Big Box store (begins with an "L") because two days before in their home & garden center, a COPPERHEAD (yes, boys & girls, a SNAKE) dropped from one of their saplings onto a customer AND BIT THE CUSTOMER!

Anywho, it appears to be vacuum formed plastic of substantial thickness. I think I can paint it to match or complement the interior décor of Brunhilde. Maybe make it look like old oak? I can see that it will hold up to a lot of use. Inside, there is a flapper, manually operated, that closes off the solid area. The liquid area funnels down into a 2 gallon jug in front. They even included a spray bottle (small) that the user fills with a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water to be used to remove Klingons from the bowl sides. I'd recommend getting a bigger one. They recommend wiping down the outside and inside with the same 1:1 mixture and just plain paper towels. Cleaning out the urine collector is by a simple rinse with the same mix or with dishwashing liquid.

Next: The SHOWER!
So are you happy with your purchase or do you have regrets now?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

No regret whatsoever. The only things I MUST remember are to agitate the solids and check (frequently) the liquid. I haven't bothered to fasten it to the floor. I don't think I'll be taking rolls of any magnitude any time soon. I'll be removing the first load of compost within the next week.No, children, there is NO odor. But, I did get some Pine-sol for some serious cleaning (lemon scented).

Tags
bathroom