Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
BB rear window removal

Hi, attempting to remove fixed window on rear after demolition accident. I was thinking to reuse the gasket....buuuutttt....

According to BB owner manual (slightly newer version than mine) "remove strip and push inward on window from outside". Problem is that the gasket flexes a lot and then the window cracks a little more. I even used a hair dryer to super heat the gasket in one corner! does the glass *always* crack when removing? if so, the lamination won't let the window 'fly apart' right?

Other option is to cut the gasket out of the way. Sam really does not like this option b/c 1. the manual suggests its not necessary, 2. I don't see the same kind of gasket online (similar, yes... but not same) and finally, 3. new gasket needs to be glued into a loop and neither of us know what glue to use. I could possibly get him to go this route if we knew the name/model of the weatherstrip...it looks wider on the outside of the window.

If the coach was already retitled as an RV, I'd just drive over to the glass shop and let them do the deed but its not and looking at that busted up glass just seems to kill morale a little; we'd like to just get it 'fixed' so we can 'forget'.

I find lots of talk about installing but no one seems to want to talk much about the removal and, after our experience, I think I can understand why. Nonetheless, at the risk of resurrecting your own long-repressed window trauma....please help .

Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Find a glass shop that will come to you.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
One of my rear windows is coming off on its own. The bottom is riding inward on the gasket. So I'll be ordering new rubber and having a friend re-install.

Lots of auto glass people will come to you. Order a new gasket.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Skoolie

Does your gasket have a manufacturer labeling on the inside?

I have found a plentitude of '2-piece gaskets' that look similar but not the same. Can you suggest any sites that are helpful for you?

Is your friend a pro glass installer? I've heard the reinstall is the more difficult step, but there are plenty of online resources that make it look dead simple.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I *may* try to do it myself, but I'd rather not.
I've never been very good with that. I'll watch some youtube videos.
I found a few places online that should have that gasket/seal. I haven't looked at mine too much but tomorrow I'll snap a couple pics. I don't know about labeling on the inside. My glass is still in, its just popping out a bit on the bottom. I think the rubber is shot.
I've also been toying with the idea of paneling in the rear windows and putting an ac unit in one.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Skoolie

Our windows are the tinted at factory kind and I hinted we should just cover that window with some of the fancy window film from Home Depot...I'm planning to use it anyway to cover windows that will be in closets, etc in an effort to keep the light but not the view of the closet.

Actually, very little can be seen inside from outdoors because of the tint but it will still look nice.

I bet a paneled in AC unit would look pretty good....I wonder if one of those motel style wall units would fit (get heat or cold from same unit)?

Good luck finding the YT video on removing....not much out there. One thing I did find is that older passenger trucks have similar rear window set up...apparently they are glued in today (faster to assemble, less safe for user...typical). Anyway, looking at 'replace rear window in classic or antique trucks' actually had a higher yield than any other search criteria I used.