Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey Somewhere...what carrier & when?.

Kitty Hawk here. ''63 to '66.
Constellation CVA-64 '70-71' first six months in drydock, next 6 months playing games. I got out they went to Nam.

Kitty Hawk was CVA-63 right?

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger that...CVA-63. aka: "The Shitty Kitty". 3 tours in Nam working on the flightdeck (Catapult Crew). The Connie was our sister ship. They had a couple of really horrific flightdeck accidents that took out a number of people. I remember having to watch the films over and overs as part of "safety training". That was in like '64? Be glad you were on board a little later.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I'm 5'11" long waisted. I would measure from my hip to my head and add 4 " to it. But that is just me. And if you are worried about losing space, why not build over head horizontal cabinets with deep pockets in them. Then you could add lighting, vents for HVAC, or whatever else you'd need, and have a place to store towels, linens, blankets, and all those fabulous smut mags from the 70's that no one reads anymore!!! (I was thinking what might crazycal say when I thought of that last one)

-Doc

Tango and somewhere, yet another "birdfarm" sailor here. CVN65 - The Mobile Chernobyl is what we called her, to everyone else it was the Big "E"! Guess what division I was part of, lol!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Well howdy Doc --- The Big E came on line in Nam as our sister carrier. Unfortunately for us (and the guys on board the E)...almost nothing worked during her first cruise. As I recall, they were on water hours the whole time and could only get enough steam up to operate one of her four cats. That meant we had to carry her flight load which led to some insane hours launching missions around the clock and the Kitty Hawk setting a record for the most continuous days at sea in a battle zone.

The only upside to that was we had a whole bunch of pay in our pockets when we finally made liberty.

Not that it lasted any longer than usual, but then sailors are famous for...well..."spending like sailors".

As a result, the girls in Olongopo will forever be in debt to the Enterprise.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Speaking of the Carriers and specifically the Big E...

I am not making a political statement, just cannot believe what I'm seeing in the pic a friend just now forwarded regarding US Aircraft Carriers. Thought you fellow airdales would appreciate. Unbelievable stupidity or...

Ducks in a Row'......Be Alarmed | Alternative
Old 09-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #26
Bus Nut

I was thinking about this the other day,

Bass, can I call you that or is Mr. Culture more correct.

Anyways, How old are you? I don't want to come off on the older and wiser route but rather the older and more broken route. I am assuming you are a young guy, one with out back or joint problems. As some one who has such let me tell you they come out of no where and no one wants to see a full grown man crying and inching his way out of a tiny space to go pee in the morning. If you plan on having this bus for a while take that into consideration. Like wise at some point you might want to sell this bus and since you built it for yourself it is already going to be hard enough to sell don't make it harder by installing a sleeping area most people are going to scoff at. Lastly is for the children, I really don't know what this means but it sounded good.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
As I recall, they were on water hours the whole time
We were told you guys always had unlimited fresh water because it was a byproduct of the reacter. Ours just smelled,tasted and felt like diesel fuel. Food,shower and laundry. Something about the water pickup being behind some fuel dump.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #28

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Speaking of the Carriers and specifically the Big E...

I am not making a political statement, just cannot believe what I'm seeing in the pic a friend just now forwarded regarding US Aircraft Carriers. Thought you fellow airdales would appreciate. Unbelievable stupidity or...

Ducks in a Row'......Be Alarmed | Alternative

Scary stuff. Is it time to clean off the cosmoline yet?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bed clearance, bed dimensions, sleeping