Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thee-void View Post
Thinking this might be the best route to take. How much do you think I would need for a 35' roof? There are quite a few bare spots as well.
I'd start out with two gallons. Its around $20-$30 a jug.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #22

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cummins 350 Big Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
That looks like someone painted the roof with something like Snocoat.

I would think as much as it is peeling that hitting it with a pressure washer would get rid of most of it.

In all my years of experience with Gillig buses I have never had one leak like what you are describing.

If your bus had roof ventilators they can leak as well. Our church has a 1979 Gillig and we need to always park it in one particular direction. If it is parked heading the opposite direction the prevailing winds tends to blow rain into one of the roof ventilators.

Be aware that at the front of the bus at the top there is a fresh air inlet vent that will leak if everything isn't sealed up correctly. Our 1979 doesn't have that kind of ventilator and it has been forty years since I have been on the roof of an older Gillig so it is hard for me to visualize what it looks like.
Also not a bad idea. I'll have to see what they have in the spot we're moving it to work on it. The previous owners had taken it to Burning Man and from the looks of it, never washed the dust off when they got back. The playa dust is basically a rust tornado and I think it has rusted the seams. The leaking does come a lot from the front windshield weather stripping. We had to get one replaced yesterday and the guy said whoever replaced them before never sealed them properly. The leaking wasn't as bad when the rain has been lighter. It was the worse when we were driving through what was basically a waterfall in Ohio last summer. We had a lot of water pouring out through the interior drivers fans (which managed to kill both fans power which was awesome when it got hotter). Directional rain with our side slider windows too (which about half need replacing) also caused a lot of problem.s I'm going to get up there today properly and check what's going on with it and what's up there that could be causing our internal rivers in heavy rain.

Also, side question, what engine does your 1979 gillig have?
thee-void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

It left the factory with a Cummins 555 and a 5-speed.

It now has a DT466 and an Allison MT643.

The school that purchased the bus new did the repower in two steps many years ago. The first step was the engine and a few years later the transmission.

When you look at the installation it looks almost like it left the factory that way--nothing chopped up or messed around to make fit.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus paint, gillig, roof paint, roof sanding