Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Best way to remove and cover windows

Hello, I am rather new here and just recently purchased a bus for my own conversion project. This site has been an awesome resource so first off, thank you.

I would like your feedback on how best to approach my goal on the external body and windows. I want to remove the windows all together and basically fill them, cover, and then paint with the rest of the body so it is seamless-ish. Basically I don't want it to look like I removed a bunch of windows when it's all said and done.

Options I have come up with:

1. Wood frame, plywood cut to window hole's size, silicon between frame and body, and smooth over with a bondo type material.

2. foam insert sized to window, fiberglass the sides and exterior, screw edges into frame, and again bondo seams and edges.

3. keep the windows and clean & seal them up, paint the interior black, and fill with foam insulation and plywood wall. Windows outside/wall inside. saw this on another conversion project.

Keep in mind I would really like to fill the horizontal creases with a fiberglass bondo so the sides are nice and smooth just because I like that look, why I am removing the windows.

Anyways, here is a picture of the beater, it def. needs some TLC.

Any ideas or best ways to approach this is greatly appreciated. Interior is almost gutted and want to remove a window this weekend and play with some ideas.

48Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

So I pulled a window today and think I figured out how I am going to cover these windows.

First thing I learned is my body siding in not fiberglass but aluminum. I like this however I do worry about the weight of the vehicle with the conversion.

Second thing is there is nothing special about the framing around the window. Though the siding is has round cuts at each corner it is really just a square aluminum tube frame. Easy to cut some aluminum sheeting to fit and weld it in basically like a very large rust hole in a car.

It was to dark to get some pics of this so I will get some tomorrow to give visual of what I am looking at.

Cheers.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Mugs View Post
So I pulled a window today and think I figured out how I am going to cover these windows.

First thing I learned is my body siding in not fiberglass but aluminum. I like this however I do worry about the weight of the vehicle with the conversion.

Second thing is there is nothing special about the framing around the window. Though the siding is has round cuts at each corner it is really just a square aluminum tube frame. Easy to cut some aluminum sheeting to fit and weld it in basically like a very large rust hole in a car.

It was to dark to get some pics of this so I will get some tomorrow to give visual of what I am looking at.

Cheers.

Don't worry about the aluminum adding weight. It's lighter than both steel and fiberglass.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Don't worry about the aluminum adding weight. It's lighter than both steel and fiberglass.
Or the safety glass you pulled out?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I didn't know that about aluminum being lighter than fiberglass. That puts my mind at ease. Thanks for the info BusFiend.

Dan-fox: ya that doesn't surprise me once I pulled that window out. It was a bit heavier than I expected so that will be a nice weight reductions for sure.

Once I get everything stripped out I was going to go get it weighed and see what I have to play with.

Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, I started a build thread at http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/my...ion-14359.html

Here are the pictures of the window frame: