Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Better source for LED tail lights?

I'm looking to replace my taillights. Are these good?

https://www.amazon.com/Maxxima-M9008.../dp/B00GJLLK08
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxima-M9008.../dp/B00EQ021UC
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxima-M9008.../dp/B00EQ021IE

Are there cheaper sources? Not sure I want to pay $300 to replace these six lights.

Also, is there anywhere I could find, like, dummy 7" tail lights? I removed my four flasher lights from the top back corners because they were leaking badly and I need to cover up the holes. I don't really want to remove the shields over them because I like the aesthetics of it and kind of want to leave the lights there. But I definitely don't want to pay for new LED lights just to stick them up there unwired.

I might try to reuse the old lights, but the brackets for them are badly rusted (the bus took a couple of dings to the back corners at some point in its past life, and this distorted the sheets around the lights enough that the gaskets didn't seal) and can't be reused. I'm thinking of making replacement brackets out of HDPE board and making the old lights into dummies that way.

musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Don't know the DMV laws in PA, but in NH if there is a light fixture on it, it must function.
You might be able to call them reflectors instead of lights but any seasoned inspector will know otherwise.
You also could put clear lenses on them for flood lights if you can't or don't want to cover the holes?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Don't know the DMV laws in PA, but in NH if there is a light fixture on it, it must function.
'You might be able to call them reflectors instead of lights but any seasoned inspector will know otherwise.
You also could put clear lenses on them for flood lights if you can't or don't want to cover the holes?
good points
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
You might be able to call them reflectors instead of lights but any seasoned inspector will know otherwise.
Do they make 7" reflectors? Something like that would be ideal. Or 7" round floodlights?
Old 05-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Do they make 7" reflectors? Something like that would be ideal. Or 7" round floodlights?
Not sure on either, but there are 7" round headlights that could potentially be mounted if you can't find clear lenses to directly replace the amber/red lights?
Your bus manufacturer might be a source for clear lenses?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I guess I'm a little confused, actually. I thought the law generally states that the flashers need to be disabled for a school bus to be street-legal. Essentially I'm just disabling the flashers by turning them into dummy lights.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Found these ones by searching '7 inch bus backup light': https://www.raneystruckparts.com/7-i...xoCaJMQAvD_BwE

Will save you about $20 on the white ones, and a couple bucks each on the red and amber.
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I guess I'm a little confused, actually. I thought the law generally states that the flashers need to be disabled for a school bus to be street-legal. Essentially I'm just disabling the flashers by turning them into dummy lights.
Probably checking with a state inspection station in your state will get you an answer?
I'd start there before buying new lights/lenses/etc...
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Probably checking with a state inspection station in your state will get you an answer?
I'd start there before buying new lights/lenses/etc...
I'm registering it in Vermont, so it won't be inspected at all unless I need to go to Vermont (which I don't). I guess I'm a bit confused about what I need to do to pass inspection (which won't happen) vs. what happens if I'm pulled over by a state trooper in whatever state I'm in.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I picked up 8 tail lights for about $27 each locally (Maxxima distributor) from "Airport Trailer" in Gainesville GA. Prepaid, they may have 'em drop shipped to you.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I picked up 8 tail lights for about $27 each locally (Maxxima distributor) from "Airport Trailer" in Gainesville GA. Prepaid, they may have 'em drop shipped to you.
Are you in the Gainesville area?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm registering it in Vermont, so it won't be inspected at all unless I need to go to Vermont (which I don't). I guess I'm a bit confused about what I need to do to pass inspection (which won't happen) vs. what happens if I'm pulled over by a state trooper in whatever state I'm in.
As long as VT doesn't have laws against having functional warning lights, you should be good to go.
The only issue you might encounter is if your "local" law enforcement sees your bus regularly parked or cruising around regularly in your neighborhood, and they pull you over for anything real or imagined, your driver's license will throw red flags as to what state you are a legal resident of.
Most states require you to register all your vehicles within a certain amount of days after taking up residence there. So it's a slippery slope in doing the out of state "easy" way around registration in your actual state of residence.
Incidentally, VT does have annual safety inspections for all motor vehicles registered in the state. They might or might not be able to cite you for operating uninspected if caught driving anywhere else, if they really want to push the envelope of the law?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

The vehicles' rego (and insurance) is supposed to be local to where it is "garaged" for whatever the period is, e.g. 90 days in state.

Nothing to do with where the owner lives.

Millions of people own multiple homes and vehicles in different states from their legal domicile.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
my bus lights

all of my lights came from peterson manufacturing.....
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Are you in the Gainesville area?

Yes. Was in Winder, just moved to Cleveland.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Yes. Was in Winder, just moved to Cleveland.
Just down the road from you.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The vehicles' rego (and insurance) is supposed to be local to where it is "garaged" for whatever the period is, e.g. 90 days in state.

Nothing to do with where the owner lives.

Millions of people own multiple homes and vehicles in different states from their legal domicile.

unless its florida.. I wanted to register one of my vehicles in florida and I had an address there.. but they required that I have a florida driver's license to do so..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the overhead school lights are Headlight bulbs when put in factory so its easy to put clear reverse light lenses on the rear ones and have utility lights.. you CAN put clear lenses on the front ones too if you like.. however some states require they be covered (jeeper laws).. as they are never to be used on road (not even as high beams). the stop and turn lights are usually standard bayonet bulb sockets and you can easily retrofit with bayonet CREE LED bulbs for a nice effect.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
unless its florida.. I wanted to register one of my vehicles in florida and I had an address there.. but they required that I have a florida driver's license to do so..
PA tries the same crap, but there **has** to be a way legally, too may non-residents do actually garage vehicles at their second / third homes.

Not to mention "foreign" corporations. . .

But, OT here
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Hmm, I think I need to bite the bullet and just sheet these openings over. These look like a serviceable cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Steel-P...e/192635372688

I'm thinking I will rivet these over the light openings using 8 rivets around the edge. I would weld them on except I haven't figured out how to use my welding machine yet and I need to get going on fixing this.

I'm also thinking of using 1/4" round plates instead of 1/8" although that would mean more drilling work. The openings where the lights were are somewhat distorted (from both the bus dings and my necessarily-violent removal of the lights) so my thought is that riveting a thicker round plate would secure the seams better.