Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Bubble skylight to get more headroom?

All, rank newbie here...

I'm 6'3" and would like to get a skoolie. But I don't see raising the roof on it for some time due to finances. So to get enough room to stand for getting dressed or showering, could one fabricate a bubble top and make a skylight with it? Yes, you would see me from chin up or some such and it might look odd, but would it work?

Here's the link: The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

Short version, make a heater box and sandwich a big sheet of acrylic inside the top piece. Heat the box, then blow compressed air into the gap between the plywood box lid and the now-soft acrylic.

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
I've got one in my basement that I thought I would use but have instead filled the roof with a deck, ac, and storage. My sister made them at a company called Multi Plastics in Suwanee Ga. for the McDonalds type playgrounds. I'll see if I can get a photo loaded up soon. I would not try to make one. as sheets of that stuff is expensive, and watching it screw up after building your jig would be like burning 100 dollar bills until you get it right.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
If you decided to go the premade route here is a company that makes all kinds of different sizes.

Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc.

http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/RV-EMT1.jpg
Old 04-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
All, rank newbie here...

I'm 6'3" and would like to get a skoolie. But I don't see raising the roof on it for some time due to finances. So to get enough room to stand for getting dressed or showering, could one fabricate a bubble top and make a skylight with it? Yes, you would see me from chin up or some such and it might look odd, but would it work?

Here's the link: The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center

Short version, make a heater box and sandwich a big sheet of acrylic inside the top piece. Heat the box, then blow compressed air into the gap between the plywood box lid and the now-soft acrylic.

I agree with the others, trying to make one is futile, especially when you can buy them easily. What you are proposing is not new, it is used in almost every factory built rv in the shower. Go to any rv lot or rv show and you'll see examples. I need to do the same thing if I don't raise the roof since I'm 6'4". I've considered sinking the tub base into the floor to get the height I need but you have to see if it will drain properly and allow proper insulation of the tub. Possible, just haven't looked into it seriously since I'm still working on getting the funds to buy the bus.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
If you decided to go the premade route here is a company that makes all kinds of different sizes.

Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc.

http://www.eztopsworldwide.com/RV-EMT1.jpg
That line of EMT tape looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it and can it be used to install windows and access hatches on the side as well? I was thinking SikaFlex or something similar would be good for installing all these items. There's one guy on YouTube that shows install of vent fans and side access doors for converting vans for stealth camping and he uses caulk that comes in a roll and is about 5 beads wide. On the roof of the van where the ribs are he puts several layers in the "valleys" to make it level with the tape on the ridges, then installs the vent fan. He finished by putting a large fillet bead of silicone caulk around the edge. Guess it works for him but seems like there should be products specifically made for installations such as this for a "proper" install.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
A shower or tub recessed into the floor would be easier, in the sense of a leaking roof, than putting in a skylight.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
A shower or tub recessed into the floor would be easier, in the sense of a leaking roof, than putting in a skylight.
Good point. Thanks.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
But then that's because us short people have such a hard time fixing roofs.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble, headroom, roof, skylight, tall