Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 18
Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: Whatever I make it. :D
Bumper Outdoor Kitchen?

Okay, my 12 year old had a fantastic idea. We literally just got this bus yesterday. It's a fiberglass 28' diesel shuttle.

Pulled it into the driveway and he looks at the back and says, "instead of putting the kitchen inside, what about making a fold down box and putting the kitchen outside. Then we could have a table that slides out from there and have a place to sit food out." Kitchen being Coleman stove and sink. I've been eyeing those fish cleaning stations for $50 anyway and doing a foot pedal sink.

It does have a tow package, so we want to keep that available. I'm searching on Pinterest but don't see anything yet. Has anyone come across anything like this? I need to take a closer look at how the frame goes into the back of the vehicle.
Kim_in_Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 310
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom
Not a bad idea, but where do you cook if the rain is blowing in sideways or its 10 degrees outside?
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_Indiana View Post
Okay, my 12 year old had a fantastic idea. We literally just got this bus yesterday. It's a fiberglass 28' diesel shuttle.

Pulled it into the driveway and he looks at the back and says, "instead of putting the kitchen inside, what about making a fold down box and putting the kitchen outside. Then we could have a table that slides out from there and have a place to sit food out." Kitchen being Coleman stove and sink. I've been eyeing those fish cleaning stations for $50 anyway and doing a foot pedal sink.

It does have a tow package, so we want to keep that available. I'm searching on Pinterest but don't see anything yet. Has anyone come across anything like this? I need to take a closer look at how the frame goes into the back of the vehicle.
I want to do the same thing when I finally buy my bus. My neighbor just bought a new tow behind rv and it has an outdoor cooking station. A door flips down on the side of the trailer and has the cook top and counter space on it. There is a short length of propane hose that is part of it too. When you want to use it you undo the latch and drop the door down so it becomes the cook station/counter. You then connect the hose to a propane connector that is located under the trailer and tied into the propane line feeding the inside stove and heater. You can then light the burner and cook away.
When it is in the closed position it sits flush against the trailer body. The awning covers the area to keep the sun/rain off. There is also a bracket to bring the TV outside to hang on the side of the trailer if you want, and a 110V outlet and cable connector to hook it up. Pretty neat....simple but effective.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
skoolie_n00bie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 446
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
$$$ vs practical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_Indiana View Post
....Kitchen being Coleman stove and sink. I've been eyeing those fish cleaning stations for $50 anyway and doing a foot pedal sink....
this is what i'll be using:
table/cleaning station - http://amzn.com/B006JEDPHQ
cooktop - http://amzn.com/B00005OU9D (coleman )

as for the foot pedal, i didn't like what was commercially available, but was very intrigued by this instructable - Field Sink
__________________
n00b build > http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ily-10122.html
Not my fault if anything I post results in someone losing a finger...
Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,075
You need to be pretty coordinated to cook while chasing after the bus.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 1,858
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
For lack of a better simple option I went with a bilge pump, based on seeing someone else do that years ago. I understand they last about 15 years.
SEAFLO Boat Diaphragm Manual Hand Bilge Pump 720GPH Black

$27.99 & FREE Shipping

Robot Check

This is not the same model I chose but I can't find the one I chose, so...
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Docsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arizona via Baton Rouge
Posts: 640
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
You need to be pretty coordinated to cook while chasing after the bus.
And fast!!!!!
__________________
My build thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467197
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Docsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arizona via Baton Rouge
Posts: 640
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
For lack of a better simple option I went with a bilge pump, based on seeing someone else do that years ago. I understand they last about 15 years.
SEAFLO Boat Diaphragm Manual Hand Bilge Pump 720GPH Black

$27.99 & FREE Shipping

Robot Check

This is not the same model I chose but I can't find the one I chose, so...
Using that after you make hamburger patties is gonna be a magic trick in itself!

Kim, how about a sink such as.........



You can fill it and drain it outside. May be a bit large, but you could shop for smaller.

And a cook top,


how would that work??
__________________
My build thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=467197
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 18
Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: Whatever I make it. :D
HAHAHAHHAH! This made me laugh.

That is one way to exercise the kid and keep him away from the tablet for a while.
Kim_in_Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 18
Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: Whatever I make it. :D
Then use the griddle or microwave inside.
Kim_in_Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.