Old 10-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I mean the oil has gotten so cold it's partially frozen (at about the texture of molasses...not sure how thick bus oil is supposed to be, but my car's oil isn't that thick). But the guy I got her from was very adamant that this kind of oil is what the bus was designed for and that it should not (actually he said cannot) take anything else. My antifreeze is, for goodness knows what reason, inside a pressurize tank that could explode if not opened in exactly the right manner which means I cannot change it myself. It's all very silly.

I'm using, I think a block heater for the oil as soon as it comes (local trucker guy recommendation as this is what our local school buses use at night to make sure they start in the winter). It won't matter as much when the bus is a house and therefore warm at night, but until then she needs something to get her moving.

I'm not sure what size the motor is, but the whole bus is 35' and the engine is bigger than I am xD
Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
If you have a two stroke Detroit, it does indeed take spefic oil. Not multigrade, meeting specific requirements. Oil doesn't freeze, at least not in any temp you will encounter in Maine. If the oil truly is hard, you have other problems.
Cooling systems have been pressurized for at least the last 50 years. Your car has a pressurized system. It's not dangerous when cold. The pressure is only, at most 15 lbs. The cap has two positions. With the engine cold, push down on the cap and turn counter clockwise to the first notch, that will let the pressure, if any, off. You can then turn to the next position to remove the cap. If you have pressure when cold, that's good, means no leaks.
somewhereinusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

It's not hard. It's thick, as in thick in the jug (the new stuff) and the bus. The batteries are having a hard time cranking because the oil is so thick in the cold it's hard to push. I mean they're dead anyway...a tiny, little inverter drained them in ten minutes with the engine off when it was 60F the day she got dropped of, so I know they're not what they should be in the first place. According to our local school bus guy and truck driver friend even the school buses here have the same issue in the winter and use dip stick heaters at night to make sure the oil is thin enough that they start the next morning.

And thank you for the advice on the antifreeze Much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Brie, I just looked at your earlier posts, didn't connect you up with the fishbowl. I'm pretty sure you have a 2 stroke Detroit engine. If it came from anywhere north of the Mason/Dixon line I would be surprised if it doesn't have an engine heater already. Is there, anywhere near the engine a regular 120 volt plug just hanging loose? Or a little door covering up a 120V plug?
somewhereinusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Not that I can see. She was built in Cali and lived in Yuma Arizona, so I'm not entirely surprised. Yet again totally drained this morning. Won't even turn.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Your batteries are most likely junk. I use 2 group 31 batteries at 1000 cca from deka. they spin good but I could easily fit a 3rd in there if I wanted to.
With your engine, you're going to need good batteries. Those old 2 strokes don't ever want to start cold. They don't have grid heaters in the intake and don't have glow plugs which makes them twice as hard to start when it's cold compared to any other diesel engine. You'll have your work cut out that's for sure. A block heater would also help tremendously.
Read up on the oil specs required for your engine and follow them religiously. They like low ash, and straight 40 wt. Synthetics usually aren't recommended nor are long oil changes.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, she's getting a block heater and probably new batteries properly rated for our cold. The guy who sold her to me gave me a gallon of the right fuel, so I can order more if my local store doesn't have it.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
What you really should do is find out what engine you have, as to get better advice. Or, just take a picture of it for us.

[edit] Just saw your bus, you more than likely will have a 8v71. If its not a V configuration it would be a 6-71 Detroit.

You'll surely want to be running the correct oil in it.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

It's a Detroit 8V71T, 2 stroke.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Well, you'll need to dig up some Delo 100, low ash oil. Stuffs getting pretty hard to find. There are a few other brands as well. Check with a marina or possibly a logger running older machinery.

You'll surely need a block heater if it gets below 50 and you want to start it often.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote