Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #171
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I did receive a call back from my contact at Powerstream this afternoon and have written about it on the DC-DC Chargers thread since it's more relevant there.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #172
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Wow.... reading this thread I realize how much I didn't know about electrical systems in these conversions. I know more than a novice but at the same time I'm definitely not a pro.... I guess you could say I know just enough to be dangerous.

Having said that, I did see some elements that I'm gonna have to do a little differently than I had thought. I had no idea about bonding the AC ground to the bus chassis. I'm still not completely sure I understand that, gonna have to go back and reread the last few pages of the thread until I do get it (and the diagram did help, but my setup isn't gonna match it exactly, at least not right away. The generator I have picked out has a 50A receptacle on it so the thought was I would just plug the shore power cable into the generator when I want to run off that so will have to figure out the bonding scheme for both ways by doing it this way... or maybe I should rig a transfer switch between shore power and genset and have a dedicated hard-wire connection at the switch to a 50A plug at the genset... not sure which way I'll go.

One thing I will do though is add a couple of these at my mains panel, one on each side of the 50A service... may not be identical to this one but something with the same function.

May also add amp-only readouts to each branch circuit as well to be able to keep tabs on things.

I also figure I'll put the mains about midway up to minimize length of wire runs.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #173
Skoolie

Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post

One thing I will do though is add a couple of these at my mains panel, one on each side of the 50A service... may not be identical to this one but something with the same function.

May also add amp-only readouts to each branch circuit as well to be able to keep tabs on things.
What is this Watt - Amp - Volt meter called by the manufacturers?
Got a brand name? I'd like to look up specs on it.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #174
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
What is this Watt - Amp - Volt meter called by the manufacturers?
Got a brand name? I'd like to look up specs on it.

Thanks.
AC 80 300V LCD Digital 100A Volt Watt Power Meter Ammeter Voltmeter Electric | eBay
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #175
Skoolie

Coachwork: GMC Micro Bluebird
Engine: 6.5 TD
Rated Cap: 19 ... 4 window
Thanks AC ...
Old 10-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #176
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird tc/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L L6 diesel
Rated Cap: 48 (12 windows)
I see you reference Dave Galey. I have been trying to find an affordable version of his bus conversion bible but every one I can find has been about $200 or more. Would anyone be willing to sell theirs? or rent me theirs for a while?
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #177
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have a book I like to use called managing 12v how to upgrade,operate,and troubleshoot 12v systems by Harold barre. He covers RV's,solar,wind, formulas to design a system including battery cap.,inverters,converters with basic diagrams for all.
But the no shock zone by mike Sokol is a must read. I haven't heard of Dave graley but it's probably me.
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #178
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird tc/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L L6 diesel
Rated Cap: 48 (12 windows)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I have a book I like to use called managing 12v how to upgrade,operate,and troubleshoot 12v systems by Harold barre. He covers RV's,solar,wind, formulas to design a system including battery cap.,inverters,converters with basic diagrams for all.
But the no shock zone by mike Sokol is a must read. I haven't heard of Dave graley but it's probably me.
Good luck
Thank you! They are currently in my amazon shopping cart!
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #179
Site Team

We are looking at implementing new sub forums shortly so if things are "moved" we will redirect to correct area
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:09 PM   #180
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I see you reference Dave Galey. I have been trying to find an affordable version of his bus conversion bible but every one I can find has been about $200 or more. Would anyone be willing to sell theirs? or rent me theirs for a while?
20/20 hindsight......

I gave away all of my Galey books. I had no idea that I would want to use them again or that they would develop that kind of value.

Dave was a solid guy and an awesome resource to the bus conversion community.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote