Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
Skoolie

My post was pointed at the way I'm doing things. If you have a different method, fine, I just hope you don't have problems during the 'smoke test' (i.e. energizing the circuit).

If folks want to use solid NM, fine. I'm sure RV manufacturers use the stuff based on expense of materials, ease of use (meaning cheaper labor), ease of connection to outlets, switches, etc.; after all, it's all about the bottom line and what they can get away with.

With copper having more than DOUBLED in price in the last year, this will be, again, driven by economics.

I prefer using plastic conduit, followed by EMT, and save BX for exposed places, or where it has to be moved on occasion, say an appliance that is wired in and I want more protection from pinching etc. during re-installation.

Typed in using 100% recycled electrons
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
Almost There

Re: How To: Bus Electrical Systems - AC

The numbering conventions, not sure how a 12/3 extension cord equates to a 12/2 NM but the 12 is the wire guage size and the /3 is the number of insulated conductors, usually not including the ground wire. So maybe the 12/3 indicates 3 insulated conductors with 1 used as the GND, and the 12/2 NM is a 2-conductor with a ground wire.

When you buy wire in the store it is almost always of the convention 12/2 indicates 2 insulated conductors and then you get it with either with or without a GND. 12/3 is usually used for when you want the multiple switch control over a single circuit or are running outlets and the top halves are switch controlled while the other half is always on, it has a multiple usage life...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

What I can't for the life of me remember is if the bulk SO is numbered like the extension cords where 12/3 means 12 gauge and two conductors plus a ground or if it is named like the NM where 12/2 (w/ grnd) would mean two conductors and a ground. I usually just cheat and look at the cut end of the wire if all else fails.

I don't want to get into the stranded versus solid debate again, but for those of you running solid are you running just regular romex (NM) or are you getting the direct bury, UV resistant UF stuff?

After a year and a half my cut up neon extension cords are still working GREAT. I haven't had a single electrical problem unless you want to count one fluorescent fixture in the bathroom falling down from a stripped screw and occasionally having to tighten a bulb back up.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Skoolie

OK, here's what I've done over the last two years:

I've parted out five RVs of one sort or another......two 5th-wheels (one top-of-the line), two travel trailers (both lower end), and an older Dodge-powered RV.
The high-end 5th-wheel and the Dodge RV both had STRANDED copper wiring for the 120VAC and 12VDC systems.
The lower end 5th-wheel and both travel trailers had stranded copper for the 12VDC, and solid 12-2 and/or 14-2 NM for the 120VAC.
Seems to me that economics definitely had a hand in the wiring choice!

I checked the systems as best I could by energizing them with the appropriate voltage. I found NO problems with the stranded wiring, and two faults (shorts/popping breakers) with the low-end 5th-wheel. One of the cheapo travel trailers had a no-power fault to the fridge. I did NOT bother tracing down the faults, as I was converting the wire to scrap for the $$$.

And NO, I will NOT publish the names of the vehicles, I don't need the hassles from manufacturers.

I WILL continue to say that you can choose what to use for wiring. Me? I'm going to watch my wire gauges for proper sizing, and wire it up like I said.

As an aside, I recall an RV that a friend rented a few years ago, virtually new.......he was having trouble with a circuit for the kitchen popping the breaker.....it wouldn't reset, and I tried swapping out a breaker from another circuit; same problem, so it wasn't the breaker.
The 120VAC wiring in that vehicle was all 12-2 NM to my recollection....solid wire.

Your mileage may vary. Please use ONLY 100% recycled electrons at all times for best efficiency!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Extreme recycling!!

Don't try this at home or on your bus

Xtevan
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
Skoolie

Love that picture! What kind of wire is it? It kinda looks like phone wire in relation to the staples and "wiring box", but I can't be sure.

Yet another excellent example of a terrible example....read that again and you'll see what I mean!

IF it's just a phone connection box, it's just fine.
If it's a 12VDC or worse, 120VAC connection, I don't want to see the video of it burning on YouTube....OK?

Gotta admire that backwoods inventiveness, though...............
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I can across the picture with a bunch of Home inspection nightmare photos on the web. It reminded me of the summer I cleaned air conditioner coils for a property management company in College Station, Texas. On a hazy monday morning I could envision a few of my co workers using this fix after seeing some of their other 'work'.

Xtevan
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Neon extension cord wiring.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

when i bought my bus the shore line cable had been removed from the junction box in the shoreline cable storage area i wired in a 12 guage stranded cable to the connection box and hooked the ground to the chassis all was working well untill it rained and the gfci in the house began to trip where thu bus was plugged in Does the ground need to be hooked up to the bus or should it float at this point? thanks in advance
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

I was wondering what to use for the electrical transfer switch, 1st option use a rv automatic transfer switch or, option 2 could a person use a generator transfer switch, also what do most people use for circuit breaker panels to control loads. I'm needing to know starting work on our 1993 genesis DT466, MT643 84 pax FC bus . Thank you in advance.
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote