Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Bus Electrical Systems - DC

This is the start of the new Bus DC section

This is a modified thread and has been resurrected 10/05/16 starting on page 7

Original wording "How To" section...Under Construction!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 PM   #2

Converters

I have a Converter. How do I set it up to run a TV and a DVD player without getting an inverter?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #3

Sorry you can't
Converter is used to convert 120VAC to 12VDC
Inverter is used to convert 12VDC to 120VAC

Dave
Old 07-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Unless you get a 12VDC Tv and DVD player (either sep or you can get them in one unit) They are about 50 to 100$ more than your standard 120VAC comparable units. I have read that in some cases the power consumption on the DC units is a bit less than the comparable AC conterparts, so that may be something worth looking into as well.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66
Re: How To: Bus Electrical Systems - DC

I HAVE ABOUT A 32" TV AND I DON'T THINK THAY MAKE A 12v IN THAT SIZE.

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SWICH MY COMPUTER TO 100% 12v.
DOES ANYBODY HAVE ARY HELP WITH THIS ????

CAMO-MONSTER

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Skoolie

You might want to contact a computer modder or hacker, try you r local computer repair places. They can put you in touch with a modder who changes stuff around. IIRC, most computers use a power suppl/converter to reduce wall 120VAC to lower voltages used by the equipment.

BTW, you can LIQUID COOL most computers, which eliminates both fan noise (no more fan!) and the power drain that the fan would cause...one less parasite!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We have a 20" Sanyo Vizon LCD television. it plug into a standard AC outlet. BUT it uses an AC to DC converter "brick". In reality, the television is a 12vDC unit. The brick had developed problems and no longer will power the TV (we think). I want to try a direct hookup but need to borrow the battery off the cart (it's the starter battery from the bus). Since we can't use the television anyway, I'm not concerned if we blow it up. Several folks on the RV forum have looked and realized their LCD TV's are powered by 12vDC and are now powering them directly off the batteries. Maybe I can get David to pull the battery this weekend and we can try it.

I planned on powering the TV, lights and possibly computer off a small inverter. I know the POS Onan generator in the Class C wasn't smooth enough to power my desktop computer. Every time it surged slightly, the computer shut down.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I do think they now make 32 inch tv sets in 12v. i have been looking for a tv for my bus, and i think i saw one that size on the internet somewhere... The 52 inch plasma one i have is taking up too much room...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #9

To the computer question. Go to a site called mp3car.com, it's dedicated to computer builds inside cars. Which was a really cool thing about ten years ago before iPods or iPhones, now you can get all your music and videos off your phone so it's not so exciting. Anyways, they have a whole section on 12vdc power supplies, and there are a few commercially made ones. They used to be rather expensive, like $200 or so, but I'd imagine they've come down in price now.

The advantage of the 12vdc power supply is that your computer uses 12vdc, and normally has to convert 120vac from a wall circuit. Throw an inverter and a conventional power supply into the mix and you have a very inefficient system, a 12vdc supply is a great idea for an application like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
We have a 20" Sanyo Vizon LCD television. it plug into a standard AC outlet. BUT it uses an AC to DC converter "brick". In reality, the television is a 12vDC unit. The brick had developed problems and no longer will power the TV (we think). I want to try a direct hookup but need to borrow the battery off the cart (it's the starter battery from the bus). Since we can't use the television anyway, I'm not concerned if we blow it up. Several folks on the RV forum have looked and realized their LCD TV's are powered by 12vDC and are now powering them directly off the batteries. Maybe I can get David to pull the battery this weekend and we can try it.

I planned on powering the TV, lights and possibly computer off a small inverter. I know the POS Onan generator in the Class C wasn't smooth enough to power my desktop computer. Every time it surged slightly, the computer shut down.

and news on your attempt with the tv?
what size onan do you have?
cause i have a 4k.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
Closed Thread