Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Smile Bus in the City

Hi all,

My wife and I currently live in Brooklyn and want to get our bus build started. Our plan is to use the bus during the week for commuting and build up the inside on the weekends.

Once the build is done we would live in it full time on the road.

We live in a tiny apartment and have nowhere to park and build for long periods of time.

I am currently looking for a "short" bus 6-8 windows and found this gem.
1990 International Shorty ScHool Bus. REDUCED AGAIN!!!

Any advice on our plan?

If there's a giant hole in our scheme please let us know we are really excited to get started.

catriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Neat bus

Where are you going to park it at home and work? you can not exactly parallel park it easy
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I parallel park my shortie.. 6 window Bluebird.. its only about a foot longer than a dualie crew cab long bed silverado... fits into 2 parking spots..

granted thats not new york.. but I did drive my longer 7 row 24 foot bus through New york this summer without any issues...

I routinely park in shopping centers, grocery stores etc.. ive even takeit to my office and parked there... in short, I use my shortie like a daily driver..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'd start by finding a place to park & work before buying. And that unit looks pricey to me but I'd need to know exactly what transmission and rear gearing it has.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
I would never want to discourage anyone from this crazy dream we all have. But I agree... find a place where you can leave it... for many months. Many many months. If it's not near a shop with tools and a place to store materials then you'll struggle to get anything done on a timely basis. You need a place where you can park it for a long time and work on it. I have what looks like the same bus mounted on a chevy frame. I have a 1990 Ward (Amtran) six window bus.

I'm into my eleventh month and have months of work to go. I can't begin to place a finish date on it. And I'm retired and have a full blown shop six feet from the front fender.

Life has to be accounted for. Birthdays, illness, trips to the beach, repair the car, fix the leak... If you dream is to finish this in a matter of a few months and you also hold a job and your bus is in a remote location away from where you live then take a hard look at your past projects and ask yourself if you are really ready to take this on and finish it. Are you prepared to spend a lot of cash and a lot of time traveling between your apartment and wherever you've stored the bus to work long hours on this project? Whether you plan a mahogany masterpiece or a 2 x 4 furniture camper, it will take you much longer than you think.

If you are then GOOD FOR YOU and WELCOME! We're all nuts in this community. I mean... who does this?!! You are in good company! But I am reasonably sure that many have started this project only to fall far short of their original plan. I think most of us had a reality check along the way. We all want you to succeed in any choice you make. Maybe that choice is a used RV that needs some new carpet, curtains, paint and a few repairs. That might be a few months project. I've wondered the same myself. But if you're itching to wade into the fray and get dirty, battle metal chips and sawdust and electrical wires and plumbing and heat and air-conditioning and all the other stuff you'll find in this forum, than more power to ya!

First though... find a place to park, a reasonable distance from where you live, where you won't get hassled and told to move it. Because it's gonna be there for a long time.

Welcome and regards!!!

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input everyone. It's becoming painfully clear that we need a dedicated space to build our bus. I work in a machine shop so tools and skills will be easily sourced. As with any city, space is limited and it looks like we will have to get creative in where we decide to build.

Our other option was to save up as much money as we can and rent out a space in a more affordable part of the country to have our build done in 6 months. My worry with this option is running out of time and money.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
I have seen some of our members do some utterly amazing things while squating in parking lots during a weekend, but alas, I am a child of a lesser god. I need dedicated working space, and I HATE tripping over stuff.

So I'll echo the others: get some space to do your build. And one other thing: locate a deserted dumpster early. You'll need it. Hehehe.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I spoke with a couple several years ago who rented and moved into a small warehouse with their bus. Spent the next year or so living with and working on it then drove off into the sunset.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I'll go ahead and jump in this fray as well. I was just killing a few minutes today searching around and looking on the posts before I headed home from work. I'm looking at your post and see this 1990 International gem. I click on to it and Lo & behold it is my other bus I have for sale. It was my first bus I bought. Just at that time I really started working on it , I ran across my present bus (BLUTO). But exactly what Tango and GreyCoyote said, you need a place to work and not trip over things. (I HATE THAT). Find you a place first. Catriguez. It is imperative.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
way to go dude !!!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I spoke with a couple several years ago who rented and moved into a small warehouse with their bus. Spent the next year or so living with and working on it then drove off into the sunset.

That is our ideal dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
The Universe is a magical place, and i have come to enjoy asking for what it wants for me, not what i want, because more than often my dreams fall short of the abundace that awaits me.

Good luck to you both, may it unfold gently with ease, balance, and grace.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
My current bus is 24 feet with a 3 foot cage on the back holding my generator and camping supplies. Even at this length we have decided not to go into Chicago anymore. Yet here I am about to buy a 40 foot school bus in order for more comfortable coast to coast travel. I must be crazy.

-Thomas
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc, short bus