Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 (24v)
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Ceiling Prep

I am mentally prepping to tear into my bus, one question I have is how to prep the ceiling for insulation? We will be using the bus in old weather and hot summers, insulation will be important. What are the best practices for insulating the roof?

Also, I have read about some people removing the rivets to pull the ceiling down but, that creates a direct hole to the roof, doesn't it? If that is the case then then there are hundreds of rivet sized holes... What is the best way to seal them? Unless there is a separating member from the roof and ceiling and removing the ceiling doesn't create a new (and unsealed hole on the roof)?

Any input here is welcome, thanks.

chad.nuesmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the rivets in the ceiling are rivted to the ribs and not to the roof skin, so when you take it down your roof rivets are rivted to the top of that rib so it doesnt create leaks.. it is a good time to hose down your bus and see if you have roof leaks that need addressed before you install nice new insulation.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

@cadilac - Thanks.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Here's a typical

Old 09-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

@2kool - Did the spray foam inside the metal ribs add any rigidity to the frame? Did it have an impact on the noise level?
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Not mine but the foam is for an (attempted) thermal break.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I hope it was two-part foam.. there have been a few discussions about how single-part moisture activated Great Stuff (and the like) may not cure well in the enclosed rib space and is corrosive to the metal in the uncured state.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Has anyone had any experience with Insultex house wrap from
Home Depot. It's a thin material that comes in a 5' by 100' roll
and has an R6 insulation value. Looks like it would be handy in
doing a skoolie. Maybe as a thermal break between skin and ribs
or laying down as floor insulation if layering would double the R
value you could get R 12 in less than a half inch. Or am I just
dreaming. Surely someone here in skoolie land has had some
experience with this stuff. Input would be greatly appreciated.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
its bubble wrap, ive wrapped ductwork with it. it would crush easy but has been used here. if you dont use spray foam most use foam board between the ribs and a thin layer over the ribs for a thermal break
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
Engine: Detroit 8.2L Diesel
Rated Cap: 53
Can anyone point me to more threads about ceiling work? Why do we want to remove the inner shell? Is it for thermal/leak reasons or other reasons.. We are trying to figure out plans right now and just got our bus so any input is helpful. Anyone that knows about what to remove for flooring would be appreciated also. At the back of our bus, the black part has a 4 inch crack in it, but I am unsure if that part is removed or just built over the top.
Zombiepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiepatrol View Post
Can anyone point me to more threads about ceiling work? Why do we want to remove the inner shell? Is it for thermal/leak reasons or other reasons.. We are trying to figure out plans right now and just got our bus so any input is helpful. Anyone that knows about what to remove for flooring would be appreciated also. At the back of our bus, the black part has a 4 inch crack in it, but I am unsure if that part is removed or just built over the top.
I won't be doing it on this build... But from the little bit of insulation I've seen by pulling my interior lights, I would think spiders holding hands would have about the same r-value.

I really think it was to satisfy a government form's check box... Insulation
Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I won't be doing it on this build... But from the little bit of insulation I've seen by pulling my interior lights, I would think spiders holding hands would have about the same r-value.

I really think it was to satisfy a government form's check box... Insulation
I thought I read that spray foaming was r32 per inch? Which is a lot. read below its less than half of this. I' was basing my air conditioning on this number and now I'm off to talk to google again. For the heat end of the roof insulation I'm going with a small 5 ft wide roof rack for a bit of shade and white paint on the bus roof itself.

If we use foam board are we great stuffing it in so its sealed?

Here is write up I found on foam
Open cell spray foams are between .5 and 1 lbs per cubic foot, and have an R value of 3.0 – 4.0 per inch of insulation. R values are additive, so you can multiple the number of inches of insulation thickness times the R value to arrive at a total insulation value.
A typical 2×4 stud filled with open cell spray foam will have an R value between 10.5 and 14. This R value is similar to that of R13 fiberglass batting; however, fiberglass generally does not provide as tight a seal as a foam product would, since it is unable to achieve as tight of a seal.
Open cell foam is relatively easy to cut, which allows installers to fill the cavity passed the edge of the studs and to cut off the excess. This can’t be done with closed cell foams, but they require much less thickness to provide the same R value.
Common Applications: Open cell foam is generally used above grade in walls and sometimes in attics. Some open cell foams have restrictions on the spray height (limited to 5-6″ maximum in a horizontal installation).
Price: More than R13 fiberglass; less than closed cell foam. Expect to pay about $1.25 for the first board foot in a room, and $0.80 for each additional board foot, depending on installation size.
Closed Cell Foam – R6 – R8

Closed cell spray foams are between 2 and 4 lbs. per cubic foot. They sport an R value of 6.0-8.0 per inch of insulation, about double their open cell foam counterparts. Just like for open cell foam, R-values are additive.
Two inches of closed cell foam will provide R12 – R14 of insulation. Three inches will get you over R20, more than sufficient for exterior walls even the coldest climates in the United States.
Common Applications: Closed Cell Foam can be used throughout an entire house. It has the advantage of forming its own vapor barrier, and it can be sprayed to any thickness. The only drawback of closed cell foam is the price.
Price: More than open cell foam; one of the most expensive insulation options. But, doesn’t require a separate vapor barrier. Expect to pay $1.75 for the first board foot in a room and $1.25 for each additional board foot.
Check with a Spray Foam Installer – R Values Vary

Before you commit to a spray foam installation, check with your installer to confirm the R value of the product. Since R values can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and based on the chemical make-up of the foam, it’s important to understand the specific foam you’ll be installing.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Before you insulate you should read this web page.
The R Value Myth | Allied Spray Foams
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
MM's bus isn't spray foamed. It has the fiberglass "insulation".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Mechanical
If there is already insulation will it need replaced

Hi everyone,
I see articles and pics of people removing the ceiling and removing the existing insulation and replacing it. Is that necessary, if so why?
Thanks
Wes
mgbstyle65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbstyle65 View Post
Hi everyone,
I see articles and pics of people removing the ceiling and removing the existing insulation and replacing it. Is that necessary, if so why?
Thanks
Wes
Its necessary unless you wanna tin can to live in. Thermal efficiency is real important when you live in it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Thinking about the insulation today, I came up with a couple of thoughts... My wife had planned on using the bus and doing the conversion over a longer period of time. However, the more I research spray foam insulation the more I want it. However, the prep work required for the spray foam doesn't lend itself doing the conversion one room at a time.

Possible Option #1: This led to a thought, what about doing the spray foam myself? Has anybody used the home depot 2 part foam spray?

Possible Option #2: Another thought was to use thinner rigid insulation and then fill the gaps with spray foam. Any experience out there with this combo method?

A third option was to do the 2-part foam then lay in a thin sheet of rigid on top of it... Really just a hybrid of option 2.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #18

Year: 1990
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 73
I just did my ceiling and floor today.😀 I tried everything from grinders with various wheels and punches etc. After reading muddaEarth posts I bit the bullet and bought a air chisel. 4 hours later I had all my panels off . Easy . As for the floor I started with a pry bar and brute force. Then I got smart and set my skillsaw depth to just less the I needed and cut a grid pattern into the floor and pulled the small parts out. Easy.
toasterman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by toasterman12 View Post
Then I got smart and set my skillsaw depth to just less the I needed and cut a grid pattern into the floor and pulled the small parts out. Easy.
I entertained the thought of doing exactly that when it's time for me to rip my floor up. This post just clinches it. The only trick will be getting the first piece out... but I'll figure something out.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
What sort of insulation might be in the roof of my 1998 AmTran?
I thump the ceiling with my fist and the thud tells mee it is full of something.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote