Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Choke? Throttle? Buttons and knobs?

You know, I never did mess with that throttle knob. BUT, now that I understand more about the "high idle" I'll check into it. Today I'm finally going to take apart my dimmer switch to see if it can be fixed - or at least to take to the store to get a new one. My last ride, the lights wouldn't come on for a long time, making everyone aboard rather nervous. Usually I just have to kick the switch a bit and then leave it on high beam. But I digress...

If I discover what that throttle thingy does, I'll come back and post. Wish I knew more about so many things...

m
Old 01-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

UPDATE: I fiddled with the throttle knob a bit, discovered if you turn the silver knurled nut at the base then the throttle button can be pushed so that the knob then can be pulled in and out. BUT, that said, when I started the bus and tested it out, there was no noticeable difference in RPMs no matter what I did to that throttle knob. And anyone else following this post - the other person who replied earlier was right. The choke button has nothing to do with my bus at all. It's just there.

In fact a LOT of my buttons and knobs seem to be inoperable and inconsequential. Now the "faucet" valve on the side that might have something to do with the heater -- I still don't know. A LOT of heat comes in through the floorboard. Almost impossible to drive in very hot weather (think Georgia in the summertime) because your feet/legs get so hot. But then when it's cold out, no heat at all. So I'm thinking I need to fiddle with that faucet a bit to figure out what exactly that's supposed to do.

Any clues anyone?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Hmmmm, interesting to learn all these things. My "faucet" valve is inside the bus, on the panel left of the driver's seat, near the floor. Same panel area that houses the various switches for dome lights, windshield wipers, fans and radio. Makes sense that it somehow controls the heat...but after we took out all the seats, there was nothing indicating that any heat was ever planned to be passed back to the rear of the bus. Poor students! Brrrrr.

All the stuff on the panel seems to only affect or involve the driver area - except the radio - that plays all the way back through speakers in the ceiling. But again I digress. As for the possible heat faucet thingy, I have yet to notice any difference in the temperature based on the rotation of that knob. Wouldn't mind a solution to all the extra heat coming up through the floor/firewall from the engine in HOT weather, though. In cold weather, it's kind of nice.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Bus heater systems usually use multiple shut-off valves. There should be a pair of rubber heater hoses in the engine compartment that run into the firewall. Usually, these have valves to isolate the heaters. The inside valve by your left foot does the same thing, but can be reached while driving. If you open all of the valves (counterclockwise), once the engine warms up, hot coolant will be circulating through whatever heaters are in the bus. Closing these valves will isolate the coolant in the engine from the heater lines, although it will take a few minutes to notice a difference if they're already hot. The heater switches control the fans that blow air across the hot water to circulate the heat. With the switches off but the valves open, you'll still have hot coolant running through the heater, and the heaters will give off some heat. Standard equipment only includes the driver's heater (under the switch panel on your left) and defroster. Most buses have additional passenger heaters in the rear, but they were optional and sometimes omitted on buses used in warm climates.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Oh thank you!! That explains everything. This weekend I will try turning the knob fully counterclockwise and search for a switch that is marked heater. There is one marked "fan" but it turns on a VERY noisy, albeit cute, little tiny fan above the windshield. And I'll tell you, in hot weather, it sure is better than nothing!

Anyway, I'm excited to check out the heater. I'm going to be totally embarrassed if I learn that I crossed the desert in the middle of summer with the heater ON. Thank you again for your very detailed and explanatory post. Knowledge is everything.