Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000
Engine: 7.6 L / DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Pass.
Clear plexiglass ceiling?!

Hey Skoolie kids!

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the sheet metal ceiling for plexiglass/ some sort of weather resistant plastic? I was thinking about doing this in the bathroom. I would make a foam mold of the bus arc and on top lay over a sheet of plastic then hitting it with a heavy duty heat gun to let it fall in place. Ive bent plastic before by putting it in a huge oven and molded it over foam so it should work, but I've never exposed it to the elements over a long period of time. I am also aware that it wont be good for insulating.

What do you guys think? Possible, not possible...

TheRoanBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Skoolie skylight! How cool. One day i may just use a nice double payne glass skylight.
Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I used polycarbonate sheeting in my 3' x 8' pop up roof. I chose translucent over clear as it diffuses the light somewhat but still lets plenty in. The material is easy to bend to contours the long way but not so easy across the grain. I attached the material with 3M double stick tape and after several years of use there are still no leaks and the 60 mph winds while driving seem not to affect it. I won't blather any more but feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I built a camper-top for my pickup truck with wood and plexiglass. My advice is don't use plexiglass. It cracks way too easily, scratches with a fingernail, and expands greatly in sunlight. That expansion cracked it at nearly every bolt-down spot.

My friend worked with Lexan (polycarbonate) sheeting for playgrounds at fast food (puke) shops. He showed me a piece. He put it on the grass, and standing 6'3", he swung a 6-lb sledgehammer with a 3-foot handle from overhead down on the Lexan as hard as he could. It bounced off. He tried a second time. It bent the Lexan.

I would use that.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I workjed with Lexan with Race cars.. the stuff is pretty strong.. though it wasnt super thick.. always buffet-ed when going down the track at 100+ MPH..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E 7.3 L
Rated Cap: 62
Plexiglass is cheaper and breaks easily, but Lexan is very expensive and strong, but it will discolor over time from UV sunlight. Also is scratches easily.
Paulymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulymac View Post
Plexiglass is cheaper and breaks easily, but Lexan is very expensive and strong, but it will discolor over time from UV sunlight. Also is scratches easily.
When I was flying we had Lexan windshields in the Cessna's and Pipers. Some of them were over 20 years old and still clear and strong. Saw one take a bird strike at over 80 mph without damage.

Perhaps it is a certain type of Lexan?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Lexan is a brand name for a particular patented polycarbonate material. It's production was take over by a company called Sabic in 2007. While it is prone to easier scratching, it can be polished back to full clarity. There is a seller on Ebay that offers it in any thickness up to 1/2" and any size you want. I just received my 2 pieces of tinted 26" x 26" I paid $100 shipped as opposed to paying $150 for a 4' x 8' sheet and then have to drive 100 mile round trip. I would have a bunch of scrap I have no plans for now, so the premium for custom cut pieces was justified. When cleaning Lexan always use only up and down strokes, never circular. That way the reflections off scratches don't drive you crazy going in circles in front of your face..

I think the question is vague, do you mean a Lexan cover on the "roof" or the "ceiling", there's a difference. I've seen appropriate sized bubble dome skylights that would work well over a shower.

http://search.myway.com/search/AJima...pr=sbt&trs=wtt
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I did something sort of along these lines. Detailed in my build thread.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote