Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Conversion for band tour bus

My schedule this summer appears to have time to prep a conversion for use as a band's tour bus. It will need to be extremely trustworthy, easily repaired with excellent access to parts, capable of sustaining highway speeds pulling an 18' ~3000lb trailer. The plan for the interior is to have two sets of three stacked bunks (requires ample ceiling height), seat belts for 11 in forward or sideways facing seats, propane furnace, good AC with suitable diesel generator, minimal plumbing/kitchen (barely meet RV specs, not high priority). Interior needs to be respectable but not necessarily limo grade, exterior needs to somewhat resemble a coach bus, definitely a rear engine model, hoping to avoid school bus windows but not a dealbreaker.

The fun part is that I live in Ontario Canada, possibly the most anal place in north america for bus import/conversion/insurance, also quite devoid of RE buses. Pretty safe bet I'll be buying from the US and driving it up, might as well be southern US to avoid rust. Canadian import laws say I cannot import a bus that's anything but stock. Conversion can only be started after it's certified for its original intended use.

So I'm looking for input on many subjects:
- Look for transit/activity bus with enough height or just expect to have to raise roof?
- Narrowed school bus model list to Thomas HDX, Blue Bird A3RE, IC RE, with Cummins ISC 8.3L or IC DT466 7.3L only. Transit/activity versions preferred, is there a list somewhere with ceiling heights?

Need to get this done for this September or it may never happen. My skills are pretty average, have access to good welders and carpenters. Budget will be $25-35k usd. By comparison, suitable RV's rent around $350/day and legit tour buses are most of $2000/day incl driver etc. Any relevant thoughts welcomed!

NA BLUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
PM me - just starting a new build conversion business - we have our donor bus and we should chat

We were seriously looking at the "tour band" market for our first buildout..
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Offgr1d I'm not sure you can be of assistance. I cannot import a modified bus, so either you would have to come to Canada to help with the conversion, or I would have to bring the unmodified bus to Canada, certify it, then bring it to you in LV. If it's just conversation about conversions for bands, that belongs on the forum.

[Edit: Actually bringing the certified bus back to the US for conversion might not be a bad idea, but LV is pretty damn far from here!]

I would caution you about hiring out conversions for touring bands. Look very hard at the insurance ramifications. I'm a sound engineer and tour manager, so I can include logistics as part of my services without actually turning possession of the bus over to a 3rd party. And since I'm in the band's crew, many liabilities that would normally be assumed by the bus provider can remain with the band, which is what makes this so affordable compared to hired transport. They're willing to roll the dice with me, and legally they can.

If you simply hire out the bus, you're fully at the mercy of the DOT and insurance companies who have nothing to gain by rolling the dice on modified buses for compensated transportation. A roof raise on a vehicle that already has a high rollover rate will scare the sh|t out of them. And as a separate business entity, you probably can't legally avoid assuming full liability.

This is why this hasn't been done to death already. It has to be an inside job. If it wasn't for Canada's pathetic import laws I'd just hire someone like you to set me up with the bus, but I gotta do the damn thing myself...
Old 04-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
No worries, your mind seems set on doing the build yourself, and that's great. I too have many connections in the bus and tour band market - that's why we want to challenge it. I will not rent a conversion out, nor have others drive our bus as a service - it would be for sale just like a used car, but you don't have to do the work. The idea I had was (sell the bus as is - its current on CA dot cert) no buildout has taken place and you get it inspected - then because of a sale price that's discounted, you bring bus back to contract the conversion. Price of the bus sale goes towards the conversion costs... It was just a thought because we are excited to work with a client on a design choice and requirements for our build..

Best of luck.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Actually I'll get in touch to explore the option, it's just that it's 1200 miles to the closest Canadian city (Lethbridge AB) which is over 2000 miles from home, and that's going on the assumption that I can certify for import in Alberta a bus that I intend to register in Ontario. If not, it's 2400 miles home from LV. Believe me I'm not thrilled about doing the conversion myself, just seems unavoidable. If you were in Pennsylvania I'd be signing a contract by now.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Chevy
Rated Cap: 20
What do you mean by "conversion can only be started after certified for original use"? I just recently bought a short bus and have started converting it without certifying it and was going to get it certified and insured once finished because RV insurance is way cheaper than commercial bus service. Is that not allowed?
Adventurbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

If you bought it in the US, yes you need to import it as a school bus, and certifying it is part of that process. You cannot import a modified bus, even if the conversion is complete and it has been certified as an RV in the US.

If you bought it in Canada no worries, convert away.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Chevy
Rated Cap: 20
Oh man you had me worried there for a second!

Thanks and good luck with your process!
Adventurbus is offline   Reply With Quote