Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
converter/charger decision help

Hello all. I am in the process of deciding on an elctrical system for the bus. At this point I have a starting battery and two deep cycles. One AGM and one wet cell. THe agm is a telecomunications battery I got with the bus. I have been trying to get my Isolator working, but that's a whole different story. Needless to say, it's not hooked up yet. I have 1200 watt inverter that works great. Now I need a charging system. I would like to have a 3 stage system that monitors the batteries and automatically charges when hooked up to shore power. I am a bit overwhelmed by me choices. I have been researching for some time and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I am trying to spend the least amount of money (Like most I'm sure) while keeping a system that will stay flexible and grow with the bus.

Here are the ones that I have been looking at:

Trace C12, C35, C40, C60
Morningstar Prostar and SunSaver (All)
Pulse
Outback Power MX60
RV Power Products (Solar Boost)
Dual Pro 12/24 Volt 10 Amp 2 Bank – http://www.batterystuff.com

Am I on the right track, or is there a simpler system that I have overlooked. Besides picking up a single stage charger from a box store that is used for general charging or quick bursts. I want somthing perminant.

Thanks a bunch. -Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

I don't know how much those charger's cost, but i just use a ship n shore microprocessor controlled 3 stage battery charger i bought from either wal-mart or meijer for under 50 bucks. it's only 12 amp, so it take a while to get the job done. There are bigger ones out there if needed.

I also keep a cheap non intelligent 100 amp battery charger/starter for those unforseen times when i need a jump start. All i have to do is start the generator plug in the charger/starter and i'm ready to go in just a minute or two.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
lapeer20m

Thanks for info. How do you keep track of what the charge is? Do you recal the brand and model you have had success with? Do you need to manualy attach your charger when you are on ac shore power or is this a perminant instal? Thanks -Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

i don't have it in front of me right now so i dont' have the exact model number. It's an automotive battery charger with a selector switch for deep cycle or regular starting batterys. It just has alligator clips on the ends for the battery. There are a series of LED's that tell you when the battery is charging and when it has reached full charge (as well as fault codes)

I've been very happy with this charger. I have a pair of 6 volt trojan golf cart batteries. It's not real fast. It takes 24 hours to adequetaly charge my batteries. The 2nd and 3rd charging stages take a long time.

I leave the charger connected to the batteries all of the time and plug it in to shore power to charge during the week. I use my bus mostly on weekends.