Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
does it drastically reduce the ground clearance on your bus to hang a genny underneath?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
does it drastically reduce the ground clearance on your bus to hang a genny underneath?
-Christopher
not really, there's lots of room from the floor to the bottom of the skirting, mine just a few inch's below the battery box, maybe if you mount one at the back past the rear wheels ,may hit in a slope drive way etc, like I hit my hitch if I go straight out my driveway
gbstewart
Old 04-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I don't have one mounted. The Hyundai is similar to the Honda, it has a plastic housing and has a handle. I just pull it out of the storage bay when I need it.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
where do you guys physically locate a generator on a school bus?
-Christopher
I'm walling off the very back 2.5 feet of my bus and will use it to store the generator, batteries, and inverter. Basically all my electric a/c & d/c will be housed in the very back. Luckily since I have an FE bus I have full rear door access to the back.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
I'm walling off the very back 2.5 feet of my bus and will use it to store the generator, batteries, and inverter. Basically all my electric a/c & d/c will be housed in the very back. Luckily since I have an FE bus I have full rear door access to the back.
so you only use your generator when parked? what do you do for A/C and high voltage when moving, or are you planning on spending more time parked than moving where theres no need to run a generator on the road?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
i have a "factory" generator.... the box that holds it still has about 10" of ground clearance.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That would break in my driveway.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
so you only use your generator when parked? what do you do for A/C and high voltage when moving, or are you planning on spending more time parked than moving where theres no need to run a generator on the road?
Well, to be totally honest it is all hypothetical on my part at this point because I'm not on the road yet and will be a full year till my bus is completed.

Yep, no need to run a generator on the road. In my mind when traveling I'll use the 4-6 deep cycle batteries to power the inverter which will drive my only high power need being the fridge. I plan to follow the weather and always be in 60-80 degree temps so when traveling I'll put all the windows down and will not need A/C. If it's raining when traveling I'll have two vent fans that will help to move the air Maxxair - MAXXFAN Deluxe All-In-One RV Vent, Shield & Fan | Airxcel

And as you stated I plan to be parked the vast majority of the time boondocking and only traveling 1 day a week to replensih my water tank and
enjoy a full hookup facility for one night. Last but not least I don't mind the heat at all. I handle it much better than I do the cold
Old 04-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Well, to be totally honest it is all hypothetical on my part at this point because I'm not on the road yet and will be a full year till my bus is completed.

Yep, no need to run a generator on the road. In my mind when traveling I'll use the 4-6 deep cycle batteries to power the inverter which will drive my only high power need being the fridge. I plan to follow the weather and always be in 60-80 degree temps so when traveling I'll put all the windows down and will not need A/C. If it's raining when traveling I'll have two vent fans that will help to move the air Maxxair - MAXXFAN Deluxe All-In-One RV Vent, Shield & Fan | Airxcel

And as you stated I plan to be parked the vast majority of the time boondocking and only traveling 1 day a week to replensih my water tank and
enjoy a full hookup facility for one night. Last but not least I don't mind the heat at all. I handle it much better than I do the cold

I like the heat better than the cold..(im the guy that has sometimes set the house at 75+ on cold ohio winter days..)

I just know from experience that the driver compartment of a Dognose Bus gets blasted hot without A/C// but you are an RE correct? which would make it pretty nice.. open the windows and turn on the windshield fans and you'll be set..

my bus will be on the road more than parked(thus why im installing dashboard A/C) but i'd still like to have a Genny and maybe a camper A/C.. I want something where I can run it if I choose while going down the road.. so I dont burden the alternator with my Geek-Lab gear
-Christopher
Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I run my generator when driving, it runs my front portable a/c. gets way to hot inside , having windows open makes more noise then cooling off. having just the roof hatch opens helps, and we have fans, they help to, but again make noise, I like listening to music , and enjoying the ride, so I do my best to get cab noise down.
gbstewart