Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I run my generator when driving, it runs my front portable a/c. gets way to hot inside , having windows open makes more noise then cooling off. having just the roof hatch opens helps, and we have fans, they help to, but again make noise, I like listening to music , and enjoying the ride, so I do my best to get cab noise down.
gbstewart
what kind of portable A/C are you using (and BTU).. and does it cool the driver area decently?

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Talked with my diesel mechanic, he recommended using an old style under dash ac like the old chevy's and ford's had. You would have to have custom hoses made, especially for re buses, but would work, has the vents and climate control already attached.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Talked with my diesel mechanic, he recommended using an old style under dash ac like the old chevy's and ford's had. You would have to have custom hoses made, especially for re buses, but would work, has the vents and climate control already attached.
Ive got some good things working for my engine driven A/C.. the underdash A/C could be a front evaporator, however I want the vents up by me and not blowing at my knees..
im going to locate an evaporator behind the driver seat area and then duct it to where I can locate some vents around me.... vents that can be directed toward or away from me so I can use it in conjunction wit hthe defrosters for the cold rainy days defogging..

in the rear im going to either hang a unit.. or set up a floor unit and duct it above the windows.. (im not building walls so I have a clear shot.)..

I am curious on how well that portable A/C on a genny works though.. curiosity and I like to learn.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mine (a Hondaeu3000i) will have to live on the back porch (deck).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Mine ( a Yamaha 3000 i) runs my portable 6000 BTU a/c without even coming off low idle. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My Honda does the same here for my 8000 btu. And quietly. Love the new inverter gennies.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
My generator is quite tall at 23 inches (with the wheel kit removed!) so I've really struggled over where to mount it. Finally I noticed the center-mounted fuel tank just behind the front axle hangs very low to the ground; it's taller than this generator is. I'm building a basement under my bus and picked up a pair of full extension drawer slides rated for 250 pounds so that I can make a drawer to carry the generator on the left side just behind the front wheel. It'll hang quite low, but the fuel tank is even lower and I haven't struck that on anything yet so I think it'll be OK. Since this bus lives in right-hand drive country a very low skirt on the right might be prone to hitting a curb in a tight right turn, but I think I'll be OK having the generator/skirt hang low on the left. It's easier to steer clear of left-hand raised medians than right-hand curbs.

Also struggled for a long time over how to arrange an air conditioning system that could run off the propulsion engine or generator. Finally decided that's just too much complexity; A/C will be electric-only and we'll run the generator to power it as needed whether parked or driving.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote