Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

Unhappy Deep cycle Battery to charge from alternator

Hello Im new here so apologies if its been discussed...I've searched here for days and haven't found my scenario yet. I Just got a 98 GMC skoolie with a bluebird body, diesel, its full size. There are two batteries in the battery box and i wanted to hook up a third battery that could charge from the alternator but be used to provide power to very small appliances with an inverter. I am hoping to be able to still charge phones and possibly (in the future as time allows to expand) power a small fridge while the bus is not running. We will be driving it at least 4-6 hours a day when we use the skoolie for touring and wouldnt really ever be parked in one place for more than a sleep shift of 6-8 hrs. Is this possible to hook up? what do I need (initially for minor interior power) other than a battery, inverter, wires? Can i hook up a water pump to the battery system in the future? Thanks all, again sorry if this is newbie stuff :/

Jakecrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Noco IGD140HP 140 Amp Battery Isolator Free Shipping New | eBay
get this and 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
The quickest way to charge small devices like phones and laptops, just get a single deep cycle battery, stay away from batteries that list cca's since it is more a starter battery than a deepcycle,
You can just get short jumper cables and while you are driving charge the battery, just find a way to make sure the cables dont slip off the batteries while driving, yes this is a short term solution, you can then just drill a hole to extend the inverter cables into the battery compartment so you can use the inverter.

The alternator in your bus probably puts out 14.0 or 14.2 volts while driving and this is below the ~14.8 volts necessary to fully charge the deep cycle battery, not to mention the alternator is not a 3 stage charger.

I have a battery isolator separating my starter batteries and one of my solar banks, If I were to design it again I would just use a manual battery switch instead of a isolator, it is imperative that you keep track of your batteries water level and voltage level so you know how well they are charging and how deep you are discharging them.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Noco IGD140HP 140 Amp Battery Isolator Free Shipping New | eBay
get this and 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries.
DO NOT use this style of isolator, their failure mode is no batteries get charged.
Use this style instead, If it fails at least the starting batteries still get charged.
12V Dual Battery Isolator | Princess Auto
Old 01-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
A guy on youtube had one when he gave a tour of his bus, i cant for the life of me remember what video it was since it was months ago. But i swear it was a big green bus with a black hood or something. i know this doesnt help but if you got time look for it or at least just know its been done.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, appliance, battery, inverter, power