Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Skoolie

Diesel Fuel Stabilizer

Was going to pick up some Stabil to put in our other bus today and noticed it didn't say anything about it being able to be used in diesel engines. Any help on what to use as a diesel fuel stabilizer. We're going to be gone for several months and I would to add something before we go.

reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 351 windsor
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Diesel Fuel Stabilizer

What you really need to stabilize diesel fuel is an algaecide. Diesel is prime real estate for algae. It grows and when you finally run your engine it clogs the fuel filters.
Dave
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

Sta-Bil makes a Diesel Formula also .. as well as their gas formula .. good stuff .. though I admit I don't know how effective it would be if you already have a (or an) existing bacterial/algae problem ..

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/file ... enance.pdf

RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65

I heard to treat with 2 cycle oil 10 ounces per 30 gallons?
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Bus Nut

What you really need to stabilize diesel fuel is an algaecide.....
I found the stabilzer for diesels at O,Riellys auto parts store.
They also had the kit for testing. around $26.00 got 50 test strips.
Hope this helps...
Grey Eagle
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International
Engine: International 6.9L diesel
Rated Cap: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
Was going to pick up some Stabil to put in our other bus today and noticed it didn't say anything about it being able to be used in diesel engines. Any help on what to use as a diesel fuel stabilizer. We're going to be gone for several months and I would to add something before we go.
The BEST stuff on the market and the darling of OTR Owner/Operators and CRUISE ships is PRI-D. http://www.priproducts.com.
It eliminates smoking totally which is why the cruise ships love it. But also adds alot of power per gallon of fuel too.

Just for fun. Before replacing the aging OEM engine in my 1999 Freightliner, we filled it up repeatedly with 10 year olde diesel fuel.
We got a bunch of this nasty fuel FREE from a boat yard in N.C. that was scrapping out a wrecked work boat which had been laying around for years.
We initally filled up with this olde fuel and then they GAVE us three banged up 55 gallon barrels of this nasty dark brown fuel instead of paying big bux to dispose of it. They only way I could tell it was fuel was by the smell. t certainly didnt LOOK
like any diesel I had ever seen. But then again, who leaves the stuff laying around for ten years???

The stuff from the bottom of the tanks was almost black with settled "asphaltenes".

Thats also why you want to feed your engine off the bootom of the tank so this cr@p doesnt get a chance to build up.
it gets removed daily from the tank and filtered out in your RACOR fuel filter.
These are better than OEM and available on Ebay for a song.

We had recieved a free sample gallon of PRI-D to try it out prior to buying a case(s) of gallons of the stuff. One gallon treats something like 3000 gallons of diesel fuel. That doesnt take long to burn up in a commercial OTR vehicle! ! !

After adding a healthy "double dose" of PRI-D, the vehicle performed better in the mountains of N.C and Tennessee with a very heavy load and using "crud" for fuel, than it had days earlier in PA and western maryland with NEW "truck stop" fuel and a minimal load.
My poor olde tired engine was more responsive and had almost no smoking on the very steep hills going from Boone, N.C
to Bristol, TN. The steepest mountains I had ever driven in! ! !
We took some "back roads" and accidentally "missed" a few D.O.T. scales.....what can I say, it happens.....
I was totally, completely, utterly surprised and convinced. That takes some doing, I can tell ya.

In a real world test, with no B.S. advertising, PRI-D is the "Bomb" and I've used EVERY fuel additive imaginable over the years.
It aint cheap, but PRI-D is worth every penny. My 700K mile Cummins ISC loved it using SLUDGE for fuel.
I now use it daily in my new Cummins ISL.
fishphart is offline   Reply With Quote