Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diesel Power Block to Power Access point HELP!

So I need a way put power in my bus that is covert. The plug for the diesel power block seems like my answer. So I was thinking I could add a line under the bumper to the inside of the bus and have it connect in the front of the bus where the power block connection is. I was wondering if anyone had tried that to give access to power via the power block connector before and how they did it? I am going to make this happen one way of another but I was hoping there may be someone who has advice they could share on it.

For the story on why I need to do this PM me I can go into more detail then. Basically I need to make power that does not attract attention for now. Not a long term solution but just for 2 months or so while working on things to keep power accessible inside the bus without worry.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxie View Post
So I need a way put power in my bus that is covert. The plug for the diesel power block seems like my answer.
Block heater plug? Just put your extension cord hanging-out the front grill like a block heater. Unless it's 85 degrees out.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
I have no idea what you are trying to say. Get some help to clarify what you need. 12V, 120V??

John
Old 09-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

1 it has to look like it doesn't have anything added to it so it has to look like the original block heater cord. 2 I need it to power a portable oil radiator.

I crawled under today to check it out and the block heater seems easy enough to swap the plug out and put another in when I need it. So I am going to mount an extension cord that is retractable under the bus that pulls up into the bus from inside. Then when I need power via that cord I can skip the block cord out and plug the extension in and no one is the wiser.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Thank you, now you are making sense to me. That should work out fine for you if the oil heater is 1500watts or less. If more you will trip the breaker and then no power till you reset it.

John
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Thank you, now you are making sense to me. That should work out fine for you if the oil heater is 1500watts or less. If more you will trip the breaker and then no power till you reset it.

John
What I had in mind to begin with was to splice the wire under the bus so I could make a T in it and not have to swap cords out occasionally, It looks like it would be less work to do what I did before putting a new cord that can retract and swapping the end out when I need to. It'll be able to plug into any normal household outlet and the heater is a small one that doesn't take much power at all. Used to use it in a bathroom that was built 200 years ago and was really cold but small. I am not planning on using it for a permanent thing just a couple months. So we will get a wood stove for future heating issues.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I still don't understand what you have in mind. Are you planning to cut into the wiring for the block heater? Why? I wouldn't do this. Or do I misunderstand your plans?

Re-reading your posts gives me an idea what you have in mind. I still wouldn't cut into the block heater wiring. What I would do is add an appropriate mounted male plug and wire that inside the bus (it could be a semi-permanent installation).

Where I live I wouldn't even bother trying to hide a cord going from the house to the bus.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: Western Flyer
Engine: International 450 RED
this is pretty straighforward or at least it seems to me.

you want a discrete way of hooking up so you can work/sleep on/in your bus without being detected.

just run an extension cable out of your grille or bumper hole, zip tie it along the way and run into the interior.

like previously mentioned i would only worry about tripping a breaker for initial startup of a oil filled radiator. shorter cable may solve this.

best luck
flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
My bus has a plug at the front and back and a pigtail connection in the engine compartment so it can be plugged in if you have power on either end. You could just put your power plug on the other end of your bus an I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference.
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=flyer;223645]this is pretty straighforward or at least it seems to me.

you want a discrete way of hooking up so you can work/sleep on/in your bus without being detected.

just run an extension cable out of your grille or bumper hole, zip tie it along the way and run into the interior.

like previously mentioned i would only worry about tripping a breaker for initial startup of a oil filled radiator. shorter cable may solve this.

best luck[/QUOTE

I am basically going to do the zip tie thing. But we won't be sleeping or anything in the bus. I will be keeping my dog who is having puppies on 2 weeks in it. It is closer to my room than the pet correct we have and is better insulated. Our borough has issue with people running electricity to stuff. But I think it is more about running permanent wiring than an extension cord.
Jynxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

So Jynxie, you won't need the block heater at all then? If just for the puppies then not much chance of the breaker tripping. Post pics of your puppies.

John

Tags
diesel power block, electric, installing electric