Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Tractor supply company makes some nice steel boxes. You can trim the "skirt" on the sides of the bus up almost to the floor level, and use strut channel to make a mount that holds the box in place. The double-sided strut channel can be mounted to the thwart ship floor supports and then the box can mount to the strut channel. This will allow adjustment to align the box with the side of the bus. We have 3 boxes mounted this way.

Additionally, I made non weather-tight underfloor storage by welding up a cage that supports a plywood floor and sides. I extended the "skirt" in this case and then mounted aftermarket RV storage doors. the cage also holds my fresh and gray water tanks (no black tank for us).

Tractor Supply Co.® Underbed Truck Box, 48 in. - Tractor Supply Co.

Good luck. B
Spooner Family
Belltown Bikes
Steel bicycles hand made in East Hampton, CT
BelltownBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
Bus Nut
As someone who has driven, worked on, owned, operated, and now involved in sales of buses I would agree with both Nat and EastCoastCB that factory luggage compartments range from really good to really bad.

Crown and Gillig were considered the Cadillac and Lincoln of the bus business. Both companies used premium parts and pieces to put their buses together but even their luggage compartments leave something to be desired.

The vast majority of yellow buses leave the factory without luggage compartments. They are not cheap even from the factory--over $1,200.00 for a 34.8 cubic foot box on the driver's side and over $2,200.00 for a 47.92 cubic foot box on the curb side. Or almost $5,000.00 for a 137 cubic foot pass through under the floor luggage compartment. If you decide to put them on after the bus leaves the factory you will pay that much just for the boxes in addition to the cost of installation.

I would venture a guess that most of the very clever and handy people who visit this forum could put together compartments on their buses for a lot less $$$ than what the factory charges. And I would also venture a guess that they would be a lot more weather tight and able to carry greater weight than factory boxes.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Exactly, cowlitz.
hell, my International's boxes are very watertight. Dry as a bone and pretty much new looking inside.
The curb side box was hit by a car at some time in its life and needs a bit of english, but that's not the bus's fault.
If there were any reason to hate on the boxes, I'd do so but mine are awesome and I'm glad as hell to have them.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
Mine are the large pass through type and I intend to keep them. Watertight and plenty big. If they were any bigger they would be dragging the ground. And weight rating's not an issue IMO with the heavy stuff because I don't plan on having the compartment carry all the load.

The other big advantage to pass through luggage bays is the underside of the bus is like brand new.

Now when I go to actually convert this bus I may change my tune...
Daddy, can we go on a trip again??
'85 Thomas SafTLiner RE
3208 NA CAT MT643
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
I've been thinking about how to do under the floor storage myself. One possibility is buying the under the bed storage boxes and then coating them with bed liner. Bed liner paint can be found in all kinds of colors and is bomb proof so it will protect against all the rocks, grit and rain kicked up by the wheels.
The down side to this is most of the boxes you can buy are 18" deep and I have 24" of space to the frame. Now I have to decide if the trade off in space is worth the quality of construction above what I can do at home
steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
Bus Nut
Both Merritt and ProTech make aluminum tool boxes that are made to attach to truck or trailer frames that are 24x24 in lengths up to 72" in standard boxes.

Longer boxes are available on a custom basis.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #17
Bus Nut
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
I am in the process of building under-bus storage. Bought steel to build water tank mounts, an 8' long x 27" deep x 24" tall storage box on the passenger side and a 5.5' long x 27" deep x 24" tall box on the driver side. All said and done a little under $500 for materials, just a bunch of man hours to build. Check out my thread (Smells Like Teen Spirit) in the last page or two.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote

jockey box, luggage compartment, storage compartment