Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you are planning on a roof unit or a portable unit keeping you cool while driving (running a genny).. you will be disappointed.. make you dashboard A/C and heast work right and use good fittings, proper 134A conversion.. clean it all up nice and it wont be unreliable...

for being parked, you'll want your bus to be greatly insulated to even stand a chance in daytime sunshine... at night a poertable unit in your bus will do the job nicely.. or if you are highly shaded...

swamp coolers are great west of the mississippi but not east (even up north).. unless you like a cool Clammy feeling... gulf moisture makes it north and east... dewpoints in the high 50s even are pushing it for a swamp cooler to not make you feel clammy..

in the west they are fantastic where the dewpoint rarely gets into the 50s. unless it rains.. you can get a lot of cooling for vdery little energy use and wont make the bus too clammy inside...

even in ohio. michigan/ new england you'll see fairly humid conditions in spring and summer.. not much in fall unless you are south of the ohio river..

-Christopher
are you a good ac man chris, I must have moved one of mine the wrong way because it stopped working. not sure if I lost the juice or busted a wire.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #72
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
In case you're near the "pay the problem to just go away" point, there's a guy in Denver who does roof raises for hire.
Who is this guy? How do I find him? I'm not at that point quite yet, but I may need to consider this option. PM me if you like.
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzWantsABus View Post
Who is this guy? How do I find him? I'm not at that point quite yet, but I may need to consider this option. PM me if you like.
Charles_M is his forum name.

$10,000 to raise your roof.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 AM   #74
Almost There

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Dear God. I am doing a skoolie because I am NOT made of money. I'm sure it's a good option for some, but I think I'll wait until I'm more desperate.
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
are you a good ac man chris, I must have moved one of mine the wrong way because it stopped working. not sure if I lost the juice or busted a wire.
I do a lot with A/C's. (used to be my trade till I found out I could make 3X the $$$ programming and installing computers instead of thermostats...)

does your bus have 2 compressors and 2 inside units? or just 1 compressor and 2 inside units?

if they are Trans / AIR and leak their freon out the controller will not allow the unit to start.. not even the indoor or outdoor fans or compressor..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
I have 2 units and 2 compressors. Both worked. Now on the front unit the blower works. The fans outside work but the compressor does not engage. R 134 systems
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #77
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Yep, that's who I was thinking of. Didn't realize he charges that much. Maybe I should start doing 'em too. It'll only take me 2 years plus or minus to get it done.. Surely the second time would go faster!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Once Superdave and I raise my roof, and my confidence is higher, I'll gladly raise roofs for folks CHEAP. I'm gona work hard this year to get some property- then ITS ON, folks!
Charles is a HELL of a guy- but I think folks spending TONS of money on these things are missing one of the big points of going the school bus route vs just buying a badass coach.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I have 2 units and 2 compressors. Both worked. Now on the front unit the blower works. The fans outside work but the compressor does not engage. R 134 systems
Most often when a compressor fails to engage it's usually low pressure or a simple wiring issue. Someplace near the receiver / dryer( little canister) there should be a pressure switch on it. If it's 2 wires you should be able to pull off the connector and ohm across the switch terminals .. if you get an open, time to put gauges on it and see if you have refrigerant. If it's a good circuit then start tracing wires from the compressor on toward the control relay panel. Each unit should have a little relay board someplace.. mine for redbyrd was stuffed in the driver switch panel, I've seen others in outdoor accessible compartments. These units are most all aftermarket so the installers can put them anywhere.. and it's easy when ripping wires out for a conversion to cut one..
Christopher
Old 01-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Yep, that's who I was thinking of. Didn't realize he charges that much. Maybe I should start doing 'em too. It'll only take me 2 years plus or minus to get it done.. Surely the second time would go faster!
If there's people bidding a rusty dented bus up to nearly 9k then there's people willing to pay 10k for a roof raise
Christopher

Tags
floor, heat loss, insulatio