Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Domestic bliss depends on this: weight considerations?

We have a short bus, a 1992 Chevrolet G30 with a 6.2l diesel engine and are planning our conversion. I have been going back and forth about whether the weight of furnishings is an issue and it's driving my spouse nuts. She has been looking at used furniture that can be adapted to fit, while I have been looking off and on at doing built-ins. Please save our marriage and tell us, do we need to be concerned about the weight of our conversion or am I overworrying this? I realize that with the seats removed and without the weight of 16 passengers and a wheelchair lift, we should have room to play with, but help me out here.

Thanks!

Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies View Post
We have a short bus, a 1992 Chevrolet G30 with a 6.2l diesel engine and are planning our conversion. I have been going back and forth about whether the weight of furnishings is an issue and it's driving my spouse nuts. She has been looking at used furniture that can be adapted to fit, while I have been looking off and on at doing built-ins. Please save our marriage and tell us, do we need to be concerned about the weight of our conversion or am I overworrying this? I realize that with the seats removed and without the weight of 16 passengers and a wheelchair lift, we should have room to play with, but help me out here.

Thanks!
I have a combination of both and if you look at some of the bus builds with wood on the floors, walls and ceilings, I wouldn't be worried about the furniture.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I think you have room to play with, I would say a few thousand pounds atleast. There are people here who tow cars, these bus's are rated to carry a lot of weight. But I am not a very credible source. I only responded because you deserve an opinion. Also the people who can answer your question probably want to know what transmission you have. Good luck!
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Skoolie

Should be simple, the bus should have a sticker/placard that says what the GVWR is (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). Weight the bus empty, subtract it from the GVWR and that will tell you how much "Play" you have. No guessing, pure facts.
My guess is you are going to be fine, but the GVWR will give you and your wife piece of mind.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopars View Post
...My guess is you are going to be fine, but the GVWR will give you and your wife piece of mind.
"Piece of mind" is what the wife gives him. "Peace of mind" is what the numbers give them both.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
Skoolie

Yes, well grammar and spelling were never my best subjects. That and it was way too many years ago.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopars View Post
Yes, well grammar and spelling were never my best subjects. That and it was way too many years ago.
Those are about the only skills I have... and those are sometimes questionable.

I'm hanging out here with folks like you so I can build some practical abilities. Thanks, Oldmopars, and everyone else!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Well, yes, but happy wife happy life

The Wife
Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
isnt the G30 a van body? there may be some concerns, but since its a smaller platform, less weight you can put in it. if i recall, my conversion came in around 3k lbs. find the gvw placard the others mentioned and then go to a public scale at a truck stop. you'll have the hard numbers you need to know then.

gvw placard - scale weight = your build limit in pounds
Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies View Post
Well, yes, but happy wife happy life

The Wife
LOL we had this conversation on a different thread.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote