Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Electrical Questions

Just curious what you guys are doing when your generator has two legs on it? I was talking with an electrician buddy about this and he says most rv style circuit boxes have 2 buses to tie them to? Reason why I ask my 7k watt Onan has this.

I was going to do a transfer switch but I think I am going to opt out of this cause if the price and if you have to manually plug them in you can never have two plugged in at once.

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
Bus Geek

I plan to do the same as you, just "plug in" whatever my source is
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I plan to do the same as you, just "plug in" whatever my source is
Exactly what I am doing. I like the certainty of physically plugging something in, and not relying on a gizmo of some sort to switch power sources.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71

I think having the ability to plug in wherever I am is as logical as I can get. However, it does leave me limited as to where I can park. Eventually having a bank of batteries and having a way to charge them (in my case having solar or using the bus alternator) seems to add to my ability to travel and park where I see fit.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I am also assuming I won't be needing/using the 100 amp breaker that came installed with this panel? I really don't plan on using anything that will necessitate any breaker more than 30 amps, but I'm leaving my options open for possible future additions I may want or need. I'm assuming the 100 amp breaker is for servicing very demanding appliances... therefore I should be able to remove it from the panel entirely, correct?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Henukaw

the 100 amp you talk about is the total service the box will handle. Could you use that much power in a bus... sure but making sure you calculate your power needs is the most important. Think about it, most rv places don't have more than 50 am service available. So if your going to double it seems to me to be a waste? Yes I like built in flexibility but that's a little over kill. If you need that much service you will probably have to have a temp or sub service pole set to power the bus.

I don't see my bus being much on Shore power very much or often so I am more concerned about how to handle 2 legs of generator power. My biggest power consumers will be 2 ac units. So I will need them on different legs.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I'm currently watching YouTube videos. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. I'm finding I'm making this tougher than it really is.

I found out double pole breakers are for 220 service, single pole for 110... starting to understand what everything within a panel box, etc, etc. I'm beginning to grasp where I was getting lost. This is becoming toilet flush simple now that I'm seeing pictures and watching videos. I'm having a "Duh, dude" moment.

Thanks again for the help. Perhaps I'll post my work when I'm done and add it to the site for future reference others may need.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #28
Bus Geek

if plugged into 50 amp service you will have 100 amps available (1 50 amp leg of 120v and the other leg is the same way 50 amp 120v) I think most of the 50 amp breakers "trip" at like 45 amps so you can have 90 amps usable if needed
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukaw
I am also assuming I won't be needing/using the 100 amp breaker that came installed with this panel? I really don't plan on using anything that will necessitate any breaker more than 30 amps, but I'm leaving my options open for possible future additions I may want or need. I'm assuming the 100 amp breaker is for servicing very demanding appliances... therefore I should be able to remove it from the panel entirely, correct?
Some panels are designed as a "main" panel; others are designed as a "sub" panel. A difference is that a sub panel has lugs for attaching the cable that feeds power to the panel. A main panel won't have lugs directly on its bus bars; instead there will be a breaker between the bars and the supply lugs. Yours looks like a "main" panel: it's intended that the electrical supply would connect to the terminals of that two-pole 100A breaker. Normally the screw terminal is where the load connects, but some breakers are approved for "reverse" usage where line/supply is on the screw terminal and the blade side is the load.

So, basically, think of that 100A breaker as a screw-terminal adapter for you to feed the electrical supply cable into the panel.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

So, I should be able to step it down to 30 amp service, and use the double pole 30 amp breaker in place of the 100 amp I take it...? I was considering going this route as 30 amps would be enough for our needs at this point in time. I'd like to have the vercatility 50 amps brings, but I can easily change that in the future.

I'm currently running four zones, one 20A (kitchen), and then three 15A (entertainment, bath, and living area). This will provide enough room to run everything comfortably around the bus. I like the idea of having a "summer room" supplied via outdoor near the passenger side sometime in the future, therefore the need for some versatility comes into the picture.

Here's the box getting mounted in its new home. I've got enough breakers supplied, so I'll remove what I'm not using to facilitate some extra breathing room.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukaw
So, I should be able to step it down to 30 amp service, and use the double pole 30 amp breaker in place of the 100 amp I take it...? I was considering going this route as 30 amps would be enough for our needs at this point in time. I'd like to have the vercatility 50 amps brings, but I can easily change that in the future.

I'm currently running four zones, one 20A (kitchen), and then three 15A (entertainment, bath, and living area). This will provide enough room to run everything comfortably around the bus. I like the idea of having a "summer room" supplied via outdoor near the passenger side sometime in the future, therefore the need for some versatility comes into the picture.

Here's the box getting mounted in its new home. I've got enough breakers supplied, so I'll remove what I'm not using to facilitate some extra breathing room.
Circuit breakers are intended to protect the electrical system downstream from them: the fixed wiring and devices. The input breaker to your panel really only protects the panel itself, which is just the bus bars. I'd just leave the 100A there as the input/main because you already have it (so it's free) and because it's less likely to be useful for some other purpose compared to the 30A breaker you also showed in the photo. It won't matter either way until some day when you want to be able to take full advantage of a more-than-30A hookup somewhere. In any case that breaker isn't intended to protect your supply cord; the breaker supplying the receptacle where your cord plugs in is responsible for that.

If you're planning to use both hot legs, make some effort to balance the actual loads (not merely the breaker capacities) so that there's about the same amount on each leg. At least consider the installed, regularly-used, and higher-power items like air conditioning, refrigerator, and heaters.

If you want to be able to use the traditional campground 30A hookup, keep in mind that it is single-pole (one hot leg). You'll need to plan to use just one pole in your panel, or use both poles but expect one to be dead when on a 30A hookup, or have some provision to jumper the two poles in your system together so they're both live off the same supply. If it were me, I'd run both poles separate out to the end of my power cord and get or make an adapter to connect both poles from my bus to the single pole available on a 30A hookup. (actually my plan is to limit my needs to 30A and not bother with the second pole)
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #32
Bus Geek

the 50 to 30 adapter I have ties them together...kinda like magic

so all my circuits are hot on 30 amps I just watch the loads
Old 11-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by arutkow
"...

I am sure it's illegal and dangerous, but hell, what isn't anymore.

-Abram
Yard darts....they are sadly plastic now