Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #1

Year: 1990
Electrical Questions

Hello folks, 2 friends and I are converting a 1990 Blue Bird for a year-long cross-country documentary project. We have been working the last 3 months and this forum has been invaluable, so thank you very much. We are now working on wiring the bus and installing a solar system and we are in need of advice.

Right now we have a 45W solar panel, an AGM Battery rated at 100AH, and planning to use a Battery Tender for shore power, we have the MTTP Charge Controller and a 700W inveter. We have 4 12v DC LED lights and a 12V DC LED ribbon to be installed, then we will install 4 AC outlets to power laptops, charge cellphones and camera batteries, beyond that we won't have much more for power load.

Does our set up sound like it would do the trick?

What kind of wire do we need to purchase for the DC end?

Do we need a DC Distribution Panel?

What kind of wire for AC? And shall we purchase a typical household fuse box?

We will have someone more knowledgeable than us look over the system, but I would like to have all of the material here and at least get some of the basic wiring done. Can we get a quick rundown of what this setup would look like?

Thanks for the assistance,
-Emerson.

Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Electrical Questions

That panel wont keep the battery charged. You should figure everything in either amps or watts a 12 volt 45 watt panel produces 3.75 amps to charge your battery you should have at least 10% in charge amps. i.e. 100 amp hr. battery should have at least 10 amps charging source. Buy 2 more panels and you should be right at the minimum. With your loads you should be ok as long as your lap tops aren't power hogs.

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson
then we will install 4 AC outlets to power laptops, charge cellphones and camera batteries, beyond that we won't have much more for power load.
What about the fridge? Or the fans? Microwave/convection oven? Crockpots and blenders and rice cookers and TV and DVD players and stereo and desk lamps and alarm clocks, and coffee maker?

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

Year: 1990

Quote:
What about the fridge? Or the fans? Microwave/convection oven? Crockpots and blenders and rice cookers and TV and DVD players and stereo and desk lamps and alarm clocks, and coffee maker?
We have a propane fridge and propane stove. We don't use the rest of what you mentioned since we have laptops and phones and LED lights. We are all used to living outdoors without much electricity, so it won't be a problem for us.

Quote:
That panel wont keep the battery charged. You should figure everything in either amps or watts a 12 volt 45 watt panel produces 3.75 amps to charge your battery you should have at least 10% in charge amps. i.e. 100 amp hr. battery should have at least 10 amps charging source. Buy 2 more panels and you should be right at the minimum. With your loads you should be ok as long as your lap tops aren't power hogs.
Alright, that should be a simple upgrade, we were given the 45W panel and hoped it would be sufficient. So approximately 120W in panel is what we are looking for for a minimum. Thanks for the info.
Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Bus Geek

good luck...when you get my way..holla" we will have a brew....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -

Bus? Solar Power?

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2014 ... cribe-blog

MUST READ!!

If you don't:

1) You already did!