Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
When we do a bus for Das Mel (under 5 ft tall), she wants 30" counters. No floor appliances except refrigerator, freezer and the ancient trash compactor she won't give up. That's at this point in time. Things change with time.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I had been looking and had even bought a bathroom vanity cabinet at Habitat for Humanities Restore to use on the bus but Clint put a halt to it because it was too low.

I feel the 30" height would be perfect for my height (5'5") and the fact that I no longer have any arm strength and need the use of my body to help with any of the cutting of hard squashes, shredding of cabbage and rolling out dough. He wants the standard 36" and won't budge on that.

I told him that he will then be doing ALL of the things as stated above and more when the time comes. He is rethinking his plan.

The island we bought and is still not bolted to the floor is 36" high. I want it cut down to 30 but will settle on 33". My next ploy is to have him frying chicken on our Nuwave induction burner sitting on the 36" high kitchen counter with grease splattering a few inches from HIS face.

Will let you know the outcome folks.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post

I feel the 30" height would be perfect for my height (5'5") and the fact that I no longer have any arm strength and need the use of my body to help with any of the cutting of hard squashes, shredding of cabbage and rolling out dough. He wants the standard 36" and won't budge on that.

I told him that he will then be doing ALL of the things as stated above and more when the time comes. He is rethinking his plan.

Sorry but I had to laugh. We are in the opposite situation. I want to raise the mini-fridge so we don't have to keep bending down to look in and to reach back inside it. She wants to keep it on the floor and use the top as more counter space.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 AM   #14
Bus Geek

My under counter fridge is sitting on 2X4s turned on edge. It's the same height as the cabinet toe kicks (because the toe kicks are simply boxes framed from 2X4s). Keeps the door a little cleaner too since no more shoe scuffs happen.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Had anyone taken an old dresser and converted it into a kitchen sink? I want to do that but my husband is skeptical about how to bolt pieces to the floor. Bathroom vanities are great for space.
jenna1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
That's one thing I do not understand. Hubby says the same about some of my ideas. Why can't he just pop the shelf out of the bottom, secure some angle iron braces from the bottom of the object and secure to the floor and put the shelf back in or even leave it out. Hubby keeps saying it's not that easy. DUH...what am I missing?

Our fridge is about 5' tall and we will be raising it up about a foot so that we don't have to bend over so much to get into the fridge. I had hoped to secure on of my larger plants on it but won't be able to so with the 1 ft raise so I'm opting to build shelves above it now plus have a 1 ft storage area below it. Makes more sense, I'll just have to find another place for my plant.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Since we're making this a full time home I wanted to use some of our furniture pieces that I don't mind drilling or bolting. Cost effective anyway. Another thing I find frustrating is that we watch soooo many converted bus videos that mostly show what the person has done instead of explaining HOW they actually do it. Like the best way to do the flooring and ceiling etc.
jenna1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Not set up as how-to's but the photos on my photobucket have more info under the pics. BlueBird Bus Conversion Photos by lornaschinske | Photobucket

I would avoid any pressboard/particleboard/mdf. For older furniture, you may need to glue-&-screw some back together a bit better. You may need to add mending plates and small angle brackets. My old rock maple trestle table "opened up" out here in very dry NM after living for decades in high humidity areas. Since it had built in stretchers under the top, I just backed out all the old screws, slipped a couple wood kitchen matches into the screw holes with a bit of yellow wood glue and reinstalled the screws. It's still not as tight as I would like but I will be heading back to high humidity at the end of summer and will wait a year to see how much it swells back up.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
My next ploy is to have him frying chicken on our Nuwave induction burner

I want pictures and a sample ;)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post

I would avoid any pressboard/particleboard/mdf. For older furniture, you may need to glue-&-screw some back together a bit better. You may need to add mending plates and small angle brackets. My old rock maple trestle table "opened up" out here in very dry NM after living for decades in high humidity areas. Since it had built in stretchers under the top, I just backed out all the old screws, slipped a couple wood kitchen matches into the screw holes with a bit of yellow wood glue and reinstalled the screws. It's still not as tight as I would like but I will be heading back to high humidity at the end of summer and will wait a year to see how much it swells back up.
One more good reason to build cabinets, and furniture out of metal vs wood.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote