Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
No idea what vhb is but Detroit has been using adhesives on body parts for years. Check out the product line by Sika.

The quote several posts up above was not mine BTW.

And depending on the application there can be huge differences between rivets and bolts. Hot bucked rivets are much more secure due to the fact that they expand to completely fill the hole and transfer any loading. Bolts will always have a bit of wiggle room and can lead to cracking of the joined materials. That is precisely why steel auto & truck frames use hot bucked rivets. Bolts would be much faster & cheaper but can compromise the frame.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
VHB is a double-sided high-bond foam based tape made by 3M. I work in one of the plants that makes it. To say I have a couple of rolls laying around is an understatement. I used the tape to hold my 18ga steel panels in place, then drilled and screwed them down. A nice benefit is that the tape will squish a little, making a good seal. I'd still seal the outside and inside more just to be sure.
My project: The Cruel Bus
RHOMBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Bus Nut
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom
Originally Posted by RHOMBUS View Post
I'd still seal the outside and inside more just to be sure.
This is what I have done with my windows. apply vhb tape to nailing fins, trim excess, and smoosh into place. Then I caulked all the interior and exterior seams. No leaky... They've been in the bus for a couple weeks now with temps ranging from 5f-80f (yea Kansas) and winds up to 50mph... they seem pretty rock solid, but the real test will be when I take the bus into town in a couple of weeks. Really bumpy washboard gravel roads for 5 miles before I get to pavement.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
Bus Nut
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Tango, what are "hot bucked rivets?" Regular solid rivets, but heated before bucking? Is that different to bucking them cold, ie room temperature?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote