Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
Exterior Steel Glue

I remember somebody putting down a layer of adhesive before riveting on the exterior steel. I'm starting that process tonight and going on a last chance supply run. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What kind of adhesive should I use/should I even bother with it?

Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
At the very least I would suggest a good bead of seam sealer all around just to keep water from migrating under the metal panels. But there are also adhesives that will do the same as well as bond the panels. Some are even rated as strong or stronger than riveting or welding. "Sika" makes some of the most advanced adhesives on the planet. They are used commercially to hold together everything from consumer products to cars, planes & trains. They have a huge range of them so some homework or a phone call is the best way to find which product would fit your application best.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I would think some sealant and rivets should do the trick. But you may be able to get some panel bond that they use for automotive panels and have it serve a dual purpose of both sealing and aiding the rivets in adhesion. You may be able to lower the amount of rivets...

http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bond...ive-08115.html
audioscience10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I used automotive VHB tape to stick the panels to the bus before riveting.

It's hilarious/scary that you can just tape 4'x10' sheet steel panels onto a vehicle and they actually stick!

After sticking, I then solid riveted the panels to the frame, through the tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intalleyvision View Post
I remember somebody putting down a layer of adhesive before riveting on the exterior steel. I'm starting that process tonight and going on a last chance supply run. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What kind of adhesive should I use/should I even bother with it?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Yup, VHB tape is what high end enclosed trailers are made with.

No mechanical fasteners needed.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The 3M VHB tape is indeed pretty awesome stuff. The only issue I have noticed involves riveting through it. Because it is about 1/8th" or so thick, pulling down rivets through it tends to create "puckers" for lack of a better word, around each rivet unless the metal is pretty heavy gauge.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The 3M VHB tape is indeed pretty awesome stuff. The only issue I have noticed involves riveting through it. Because it is about 1/8th" or so thick, pulling down rivets through it tends to create "puckers" for lack of a better word, around each rivet unless the metal is pretty heavy gauge.
I got the same effect by using too much seam seal before I got a better calking gun.

Good pointers.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Navistar T444E Disel V8
Rated Cap: 71
Did we ever come to a conclusion on the Rivets vs Bolts debate?
Intalleyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intalleyvision View Post
Did we ever come to a conclusion on the Rivets vs Bolts debate?
They both work fine.

Solid core rivets and bolts of the same diameter have vary close to the same shear strength.

If you have a friend to help you buck rivets, and the $$ in tools, go for it.

If you want to use the tools you already have, use bolts.

Bolts are also more readily available. Rivets can be a pain to get in some locations.

Nat

Old 02-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9, Spicer-5
Rated Cap: 44 Big butts/66 Lil ones
Has anyone been brave/adventurous enough to try the vhb without any mechanical fasteners or should I just step out on a limb and be the first !?
Won't be starting my roof raise till next winter, after I get my shop put up.
Thanx All.
one_eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Bus Geek

No idea what vhb is but Detroit has been using adhesives on body parts for years. Check out the product line by Sika.

The quote several posts up above was not mine BTW.

And depending on the application there can be huge differences between rivets and bolts. Hot bucked rivets are much more secure due to the fact that they expand to completely fill the hole and transfer any loading. Bolts will always have a bit of wiggle room and can lead to cracking of the joined materials. That is precisely why steel auto & truck frames use hot bucked rivets. Bolts would be much faster & cheaper but can compromise the frame.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
VHB is a double-sided high-bond foam based tape made by 3M. I work in one of the plants that makes it. To say I have a couple of rolls laying around is an understatement. I used the tape to hold my 18ga steel panels in place, then drilled and screwed them down. A nice benefit is that the tape will squish a little, making a good seal. I'd still seal the outside and inside more just to be sure.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOMBUS View Post
I'd still seal the outside and inside more just to be sure.
This is what I have done with my windows. apply vhb tape to nailing fins, trim excess, and smoosh into place. Then I caulked all the interior and exterior seams. No leaky... They've been in the bus for a couple weeks now with temps ranging from 5f-80f (yea Kansas) and winds up to 50mph... they seem pretty rock solid, but the real test will be when I take the bus into town in a couple of weeks. Really bumpy washboard gravel roads for 5 miles before I get to pavement.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Tango, what are "hot bucked rivets?" Regular solid rivets, but heated before bucking? Is that different to bucking them cold, ie room temperature?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote