Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #61
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
way to go

Old 03-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3800 chassis
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 77
Thank you all--especially Sheila

I bought my bus the last weekend in February--here it is the end of March and I'm still trying to get the floor out--cause of the screws holding down the alum strips holding down floor matting--I've been feeling blue cause it feels like I am not making progress
Thanks to Shelia's asking for info and all of the resulting support--I don't feel so bad or so alone.
I just have to persevere. I'm not very young and not very fit--but I can and will do this--I must say even after a really bad day at work--driving in my driveway still makes me smile. It probably won't be this year--cause I don't like to sweat and MS is VERY HUMID; but I will get it done--even the ceiling that scares me bunches!
Maybe I'll even get some pics of my bus up. so very much!
cheryl_ann44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
You'll get it worked out! These vehicles are tough and were designed for a lot of abuse. You're attempting to take stuff apart that wasn't really intended to come apart ever again, so you gotta use your brain and brawn to get those pieces to crack in the way you need.

If there's a piece of advice to give you is that eggs must be broken to make an omlette. Said another way, drill those screws out and rip up the trim if you're not going to use those parts again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl_ann44 View Post
I bought my bus the last weekend in February--here it is the end of March and I'm still trying to get the floor out--cause of the screws holding down the alum strips holding down floor matting--I've been feeling blue cause it feels like I am not making progress
Thanks to Shelia's asking for info and all of the resulting support--I don't feel so bad or so alone.
I just have to persevere. I'm not very young and not very fit--but I can and will do this--I must say even after a really bad day at work--driving in my driveway still makes me smile. It probably won't be this year--cause I don't like to sweat and MS is VERY HUMID; but I will get it done--even the ceiling that scares me bunches!
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hi! Don't ever feel alone, there are a lot of great people here that will help you whether by words of advice or words to lift your spirits so you can keep going. Just take your time and work at your pace and most importantly have the right tool for the specific job you are tackling. It makes a world of difference[emoji1]
fp42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Ceiling panels are out! I couldn't have done it without the help of EastcoastCB. So thank you very much!!!

fp42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
BEAUTIFUL! I love the sight of a freshly gutted bus. I even love the sight of my gutted last year bus!

Glad you're progressing. I took some folks for a bus ride in mine today.

Aaron- I couldn't agree more and I say it all the time- You gotta break a few eggs...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
drill those screws out and rip up the trim if you're not going to use those parts again.
I've come to that point where I'm about to say frak it, get another drill so I can get SWMBO out there and attack literally all the remaining screws that way.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Go medieval on the damn things!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Now that is an absolutely beautiful sight. Tear it down to make it better!!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Where at in Mississippi??
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Small community south of Pelahatchie, called Shiloh. Approx 30 miles east of Jackson! VERY rural.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:39 AM   #72
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp42583 View Post
There are 550 rivets. 10 rows with 55 rivets in each panel. I keep telling myself to remember the end product[emoji1]
quick question, are you drilling out the rivets or something else?
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Nah, just popped out the mandrel and sheared em off with an air chisel!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

What's a mandrel?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

The mandrel is the thing in the center of the pop rivet that looks like a nail on a new unused rivet and is the piece of metal showing in the center of an installed pop rivet. Put a tool on it that looks like a stick of metal that's been narrowed down so the pointy end is about the same diameter as the mandrel (usually called a punch or a drift) and give it a couple good whacks with a hammer and you will push the mandrel out the back end of the rivet.

As usual, Google and YouTube are your friends. Google "how do pop rivets work" and prepare to be overwhelmed with information.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #76
Bus Geek

The discouraging part is watching ya throw in the towel and pay more than some houses cost to some guys in TN.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #77

Question Follow up question.

Newbie here just considering a retirement rv.
I have read about people removing rivets as described but no one seems to try drilling them out. Is there a reason for that?
Dragon's Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon's Cross View Post
Newbie here just considering a retirement rv.
I have read about people removing rivets as described but no one seems to try drilling them out. Is there a reason for that?
Many of the rivets are closed end, so you need to pop a point somehow into each one to start a drill. It's not that it's hard to drill them out, it's just that there are a couple thousand of them and it's very time consuming removing them with a drill. It's just faster with an air chisel and a sharp chisel to minimize the time. I have over 100 rivets to remove on the outside rear cap base, I'm not looking forward to that job.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:50 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Many of the rivets are closed end, so you need to pop a point somehow into each one to start a drill. It's not that it's hard to drill them out, it's just that there are a couple thousand of them and it's very time consuming removing them with a drill. It's just faster with an air chisel and a sharp chisel to minimize the time. I have over 100 rivets to remove on the outside rear cap base, I'm not looking forward to that job.
Thanks for the info
Dragon's Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp42583 View Post
There are 550 rivets. 10 rows with 55 rivets in each panel. I keep telling myself to remember the end product[emoji1]
Wow that's sooooo much work, I'm really glad my Thomas has screws holding the ceiling up
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote