Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Feeling discouraged

I own a 1986 Blue Bird All American bus. It has a 427 gasoline engine. I'm not sure about the transmission. I am not mechanically or construction inclined. So having said that I am at a loss as to how to get the ceiling panels out. I have tried 2 different hammers, different chisels, and an angle grinder. After 9 hours I have managed to only get one ceiling panel out.
So what am I doing wrong? This can't be right.
I don't have the option of giving up so I need to figure this out.
Thank you in advance for any advice. I am not rolling in money so keep that in mind as well.
Sheila

fp42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
It took me probably twenty hours or so to get all mine out. With help.
Just play through the pain, Sheila. It takes a ton of determination and will to see a project like this through. I'm BROKE... and building as I can. You're doing the right thing getting that stuff out though. Stay positive, play some music, and crack open a beer or two to get you by.
We're here for ya.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It took me probably twenty hours or so to get all mine out. With help.
Just play through the pain, Sheila. It takes a ton of determination and will to see a project like this through.
We're here for ya.
20 hours? I feel better. I have read where people have taken the walls and ceiling out in one day and I think how in the world did they do that?
I am doing this by myself so that complicates things and slows me down a lot. Thank you for the encouragement, I appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Sheila,

It took me about two MONTHS of working in the Texas heat with FOUR teenagers (my son and three of his loyal friends) to get our bus stripped out. Even now we're not completely stripped out of electrical wire and other little details.

Just keep at it and with time and patience, you'll get there.

M1031
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Depends on the bus, and other factors. But with SERIOUS effort and friends helping out it took us at least a few weekends of frustration to get all the seats, ceilings, flooring, and side panels out. It was BRUTAL.
I don't regret any of it though. It had to be done, and the bus will totally be more livable as a result.
Some folks interiors are only held in with screws and a few rivets. Mine had a rivet every 3/4 inch or so. Must have been in the thousands.
Then there was the tar/asphalt goo... THat took the longest. The upcoming (STILL) roof raise sounds like a breeze after all I've been through thus far.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Depends on the bus, and other factors. But with SERIOUS effort and friends helping out it took us at least a few weekends of frustration to get all the seats, ceilings, flooring, and side panels out. It was BRUTAL.
I don't regret any of it though. It had to be done, and the bus will totally be more livable as a result.
Some folks interiors are only held in with screws and a few rivets. Mine had a rivet every 3/4 inch or so. Must have been in the thousands.
Then there was the tar/asphalt goo... THat took the longest. The upcoming (STILL) roof raise sounds like a breeze after all I've been through thus far.
There are 550 rivets. 10 rows with 55 rivets in each panel. I keep telling myself to remember the end product[emoji1]
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Sheila,

It took me about two MONTHS of working in the Texas heat with FOUR teenagers (my son and three of his loyal friends) to get our bus stripped out. Even now we're not completely stripped out of electrical wire and other little details.

Just keep at it and with time and patience, you'll get there.

M1031
I don't know how you did it in the heat. I live in Florida and I didn't set foot in there from May to September. Way too HOT!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Sheila, where at in FL??
I'm in Eustis, we could come help out some time soon if you'd like.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Sheila, where at in FL??
I'm in Eustis, we could come help out some time soon if you'd like.
I'm in Crystal River/Dunnellon. I live in CR but my bus is at my mom's property in Dunnellon. OMG that would be amazing! That just brought tears to my eyes. The idea of someone being able to give me some guidance as to what I am doing would be a game changer for me. You wouldn't even have to do any work, just showing me what to do would be invaluable.
Sheila
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Well, I'm pretty much available any time.
I don't mind actually helping, too.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Try this, you'll need some tools because doing it all "al manuel" will kill you.

Get a 4 1/2" angle grinder from harbor freight. Cheap, but it'll last the job.
Get a pack of cut-off discs for the grinder. Also cheap, but once again it'll do good enough for now.
You WILL need an air compressor, if not now, then later for a nailer, or for blowing crud out of holes, or painting, or many things. Even a pancake one will do for this job.
Get an air chisel, and a selection of chisel bits. The bit that has a slight angle to it's approach works great.
Pick up some thick leather work gloves, a face shield, and hearing protection.

When you are operating the angle grinder, note the directions of the sparks. They will set stuff on fire, or put pits in glass. (like your windshield) Which sucks. Use cardboard or plywood or something to protect the glass.

With the cutoff wheel, make a notch in the rivet, just deep enough that that you don't touch the sheet metal. Then, using the air chisel with the tip, hold the cutting edge against the rivet head and the sheet metal, and give it a go. The head will fold on the cut you made, and quickly shear off. Repeat a million times for the row. Each head shear should take no more than about a second or two. It'll go fast.

Now, using the same air chisel, use a ground down bit as a center punch. (HF might have one) the punch should be slightly smaller than the hole for the rivet (the one that the rest of the rivet body has made). The punch should have a flat head, so it does not widen the rivet as it hammers. One quick trigger pull will knock the rivet body back through the hole, freeing the connection. Start from the sides, and work back and forth so the remaining heads hold the sheet metal from the peak of the arch. It will come falling down so watch out.

It sounds like a lot of "tool set up" but all of those tools will be super useful throughout your efforts to renovate the bus. I was able to knock out the removal of all the roof panels in one weekend. (40' BB AARE)

You'll do fine. It's a lot of work, but we've all done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp42583 View Post
I own a 1986 Blue Bird All American bus. It has a 427 gasoline engine. I'm not sure about the transmission. I am not mechanically or construction inclined. So having said that I am at a loss as to how to get the ceiling panels out. I have tried 2 different hammers, different chisels, and an angle grinder. After 9 hours I have managed to only get one ceiling panel out.
So what am I doing wrong? This can't be right.
I don't have the option of giving up so I need to figure this out.
Thank you in advance for any advice. I am not rolling in money so keep that in mind as well.
Sheila
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty much available any time.
I don't mind actually helping, too.
Just let me know when you think you might want to head over this way for a fun filled day😀
Old 03-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I don't have a regular job or steady work so you just let me know what day is good for you.
I will bring a truck and haul a compressor over so we can use air tools. Do you have power?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

CB thanks

Make sure to take pictures for her album
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Wish I lived closer I would help but you're 7 hours from me and the Corporate Dogs of the Retail hell I work for won't let me out of their site for more than 24 hours.
BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #16

It took us forever to get ours out too! Kills your arms and shoulders in the process. Those rivets are crazy! We tried, hammer and punch, angle grinder, and finally the air chisel! Definitely the quickest! With how many rivets we had to remove it was well worth it!
Lukedavis9418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Yep, the chisel and punch bits are my favorite removal method, and much cleaner than grinding.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I don't have a regular job or steady work so you just let me know what day is good for you.
I will bring a truck and haul a compressor over so we can use air tools. Do you have power?
I do have power. Unfortunately I work Monday through Friday so I only have the weekends to work on the bus. Would you be able to come over on a Saturday or Sunday? Do you have an hourly rate or do you charge by the task?
Old 03-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaul View Post
Wish I lived closer I would help but you're 7 hours from me and the Corporate Dogs of the Retail hell I work for won't let me out of their site for more than 24 hours.
Thank you so much for the offer. Its the thought that counts 😀
Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp42583 View Post
I do have power. Unfortunately I work Monday through Friday so I only have the weekends to work on the bus. Would you be able to come over on a Saturday or Sunday? Do you have an hourly rate or do you charge by the task?
I'm not looking for any money from you.

I just genuinely like to be nice to folks, and meet new people.
I can come out saturday.