Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 66
flashing light covers

I am finally starting to do some work on my bus, and one thing that comes first is to remove the flashing lights. i was hoping to replace them with the block off domes that i have seen before. But, i cant seem to source them, and a "search" gave me nothing. so i am hoping that someone will be able to guide me to them.
thanks in advance
Brian

millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #2

Re: flashing light covers

i am actually going to check local regulations to see if i can just leave them there. that would be soo much easier. i have to remove the school bus signs, but maybe not that.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I've seen a few buses in my area that have left the lights in place, and just painted over them so they are the same color as the bus. I have looked for quick covers for two years and haven't found anything yet. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone with a little ambition...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
I've seen a few buses in my area that have left the lights in place, and just painted over them so they are the same color as the bus. I have looked for quick covers for two years and haven't found anything yet. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone with a little ambition...
How standardized are they? will a bluebird lens fit a thomas etc. if one size fits all (or at least most) it'd probably be doable, if there are too many different sizes and mounting patterns they'd have to be fairly pricey
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrt76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCamping
How standardized are they? will a bluebird lens fit a thomas etc. if one size fits all (or at least most) it'd probably be doable, if there are too many different sizes and mounting patterns they'd have to be fairly pricey
I would think they would be standard, since it is not the bus companies that make the lights. as for mounting paterns, even if they are not the same, as long as they are the same diameter, you would just use self tapping sheet metal screws and abit of silicone.
this is just my opinion, and i have been known to be wrong once before...
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Midbus
Chassis: Short bus!
Engine: Chevy
Rated Cap: 12

I JUST finished covering my flashing lights - I'm in Maryland. I painted over the red ones, but thought I could keep the amber ones (since thety didn't flash or light up).... so it failed inspection because if you have amber lenses they must be turn signals! DOH! So, for the time being, I removed the light fixtures and replaced them with round tin cutouts painted black (with a bead of silicone for seals). I plan to eventually wire them to the turn signals, OR to some other flashing light display for "party mode" (i.e. paint smiley faces in reverse on them, etc).

There is a junkyard near me that has 3 school busses that have lenses... am toying with the idea of getting a few extra to play with....

- Carlos
CarlosFlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Bus Nut

according to the local gendarms, if the clearance lights are installed they are expected to work as intended, for a noncommercial vehicle where clearance lights aren't mandatory it's easiest to just remove the lights and caulk the holes closed.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I searched for the Federal Requirements - I had once seen a nice diagram I wanted to link to, but I can't find it tonight. The rules are in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. It's apparently vehicle WIDTH, and not whether it's commercial, that determines what kind of lights you need. The rules apply to cars, trucks, skoolies, and the trailer for your bass boat.

Tables I & II of that standard apply to any vehicle with a body width of 80 inches or more. This is measured not including safety devices such as lights, mirror, stop sign, handles, etc. Identification lamps and clearance lamps are required for this width. It appears if you remove the lights and seal the holes, it's not legal, whether commercial or not. Don't ask the cop on the corner. Ask the one who does DOT inspections. Table I lists the minimum number of devices, Table II tells you where to put them. (Don''t go there.) Tables III & IV are for passenger cars and any other vehicles narrower than 80 inches. ID and clearance lamps are NOT required.

The maximum turn signal height of 83 inches (center line of lamps) might let some short buses get away with overhead turn signals, but they might earn unwanted paperwork for a full-sized skoolie.

The whole of FMVSS 108 seems to be arcane, and the links I found indicate even vehicle manufacturers have trouble understanding if their installations are legal or not. They want the whole regulation re-written. The standard is full of specs on viewing angles, intensities, exceptions, and such.

Anyway, FWIW, here's my summary of the Table I basics and Table II mounting locations for vehicles 80 or more inches in width. Some of these obviously are allowed somewhere in the rules be combined, since we have headlights with both beams, or trailer stop-turn-taillight units with built-in reflectors:

2 high beam headlamps, 2 low beam headlamps, 22 to 54 inches above the road [high beams cannot come on with low beams unless specifically allowed]
2 red tail lamps, 2 red stop lamps, each 15 to 72 inches above the road
2 amber turn signals in front, 2 amber or red turn signal in the rear, each 15 to 83 inches above the road.
1"operating unit" (switch?) and flasher for the turn signals and one of each for a "vehicular hazard warning signal" (4-ways?), locations not specified
1 white rear license plate lamp (top or side of plate, not bottom), 1 white backup lamp on rear
1 red marker and 1 red reflector at the rear of each side, 1 amber marker and 1 amber reflector at the front of each side
1 amber marker and 1 amber reflector on the middle of each side, as close to the halfway point between the front and rear markers and reflectors.
All marker lights at least 15 inches up, all reflectors 15 to 60 inches up
3 amber identification lights at highest practicable point on the front, 3 red identification lights at highest practicable point on the rear
2 amber clearance lights at the widest point in the front, 2 red clearance lights at the widest point in the rear, as near the top as practicable
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Reading through this discussion I thought I might add something about the upper lights on the skoolies... I have a Thomas Transit Liner & maybe city busses are different as far as the laws & upper light go but mine has 2 upper led lights front & rear & they are setup & used as turn signals. This city bus was from Cape Canaveral Florida originally a Space Shuttle tour bus. Don't know if this helps but I would imagine a skoolie could have upper yellow turn signals also...
Jonathan
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Rated Cap: 20

I went with clear lenses in place of the red and amber you can get them from Kansas Truck Equipment 866 948 3849 ask for Todd Bacon or email tbacon@kansastruck.net
John Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: bluebird
Rated Cap: 20

you can buy clear lenses and turn them into flood lights. thats what I did, you can buy them from tbacon@kansastruck.net. Tell him your make and model and he can get you clear lenses
John Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet B7T042
Engine: 6.6L Turbo CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brothers
you can buy clear lenses and turn them into flood lights. thats what I did, you can buy them from tbacon@kansastruck.net. Tell him your make and model and he can get you clear lenses

Just thought I would add that you can still order the clear lenses from kansastruck.net . They where $5.40 each for my bus (P/N 428649.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We will keep our flasher lights and just bypass the flasher cube so they stay on. We will then buy some of the clear/white lens covers to use as "docking" lights. We can light up a campground with those!!!!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
I searched for the Federal Requirements - I had once seen a nice diagram I wanted to link to,
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan...y/TBMpstr.html
Old 03-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Lights look great. Might have to do that to mine eventually.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I'm kinda curious about that. We are keeping one set (inner front and inner rear) as "docking lights" the outer ones will be stop/turn on the rear and turn only on the front. We haven't turned on our light at dusk yet but the lights are 75Watt. I still think we could light up a campground. Teach those stick-n-staples fools for calling skoolies " rolling meth labs" (just a joke, so they said). Really, we are doing it because sometimes you just need a big light when you break down or have a flat on the toad.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFlys
I JUST finished covering my flashing lights - I'm in Maryland. I painted over the red ones, but thought I could keep the amber ones (since thety didn't flash or light up).... so it failed inspection because if you have amber lenses they must be turn signals! DOH! So, for the time being, I removed the light fixtures and replaced them with round tin cutouts painted black (with a bead of silicone for seals). I plan to eventually wire them to the turn signals, OR to some other flashing light display for "party mode" (i.e. paint smiley faces in reverse on them, etc).

There is a junkyard near me that has 3 school busses that have lenses... am toying with the idea of getting a few extra to play with....

- Carlos
Want to have fun?
Get extra turn signal (amber) lights...on the rear of the bus you want three per side, total, including your original ones.
THEN get the turn signal mechanism from an old Cougar (Mercury car), and use it's sequential turn signals wiring to make sequential turn signals for the bus.
Very trick, cool to see, folks pay more attention.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24 Valve
Rated Cap: 35
I also ordered some 7" clear lenses. I'm thinking of moving the yellow lenses over to the currently red lenses to delete the red flashers. I plan on putting the clear lenses where the yellow came from and to wire them for always on (non-flashing) with independent switches for front or back. I hope this keeps me out of any violations as well as adding some camping / driving lights.

I am not sure how to jump into the upper yellow flashers and run them from a switch?

You can order the 7" clear lenses (backup) direct here: LENS ONLY, 7" Back-Up Light - School Bus Parts for Sale - A Parts Warehouse
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliyahu View Post
I also ordered some 7" clear lenses. I'm thinking of moving the yellow lenses over to the currently red lenses to delete the red flashers. I plan on putting the clear lenses where the yellow came from and to wire them for always on (non-flashing) with independent switches for front or back. I hope this keeps me out of any violations as well as adding some camping / driving lights.

I am not sure how to jump into the upper yellow flashers and run them from a switch?

You can order the 7" clear lenses (backup) direct here: LENS ONLY, 7" Back-Up Light - School Bus Parts for Sale - A Parts Warehouse
They would effectively become additional clearance lights. Check the colors because they may have to be amber on one side, and red on the other.

It might be just fine as you propose ... but check because that would be a crazy thing to get a ticket for.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

And, I'm not sure how usable bright white lights just above the windshield will be. Could be a net liability for night vision.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote