Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Year: 2006
Floor help

Just bought a 2006 saf t liner!!!
I am beginning demolition and realizing I have a few newbie questions.
I’ve got most of the seats pulled out and started pulling up the rubber floor. There is no plywood under the rubber so it’s just sticky stuff under ther. Probably contact cement? How important is it to scrape that stuff off? I am thinking that it is a bad idea to paint rustoleum directly onto it? Should I rub acetone then scrape it off?
The rust is minimal. Is it worth treating with ospho or will rust killing paint do the trick?
What are the best ways to fill in these a bolt holes? Will polyurethane caulk shrink over time? Is there a better filler specifically used with metal? Also heard of an idea to caulk/glue pennies over the holes. What would be the best way to get them to stay in place?
Does anyone worry about the metal condensation underneath floor? Should I put down a vapor barrier or make it so that my subfloor can breath? I am planning on putting down 1 in foam and then floating 1/2 in osb, and flooring on top of any osb exposed after built ins.
Hopefully that is not too many questions!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
93CCD585-1EF9-4397-BD1F-732119E96F3E.jpg   0E989129-D431-4921-B7F9-6340DC749218.jpg  

Pileatedtothepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatedtothepalm View Post
I’ve got most of the seats pulled out and started pulling up the rubber floor. There is no plywood under the rubber so it’s just sticky stuff under ther. Probably contact cement? How important is it to scrape that stuff off? I am thinking that it is a bad idea to paint rustoleum directly onto it? Should I rub acetone then scrape it off?
The rust is minimal. Is it worth treating with ospho or will rust killing paint do the trick?
What are the best ways to fill in these a bolt holes? Will polyurethane caulk shrink over time? Is there a better filler specifically used with metal? Also heard of an idea to caulk/glue pennies over the holes. What would be the best way to get them to stay in place?
Does anyone worry about the metal condensation underneath floor? Should I put down a vapor barrier or make it so that my subfloor can breath? I am planning on putting down 1 in foam and then floating 1/2 in osb, and flooring on top of any osb exposed after built ins.
Thanks!
I'd suggest that the importance of getting the cement off is completely dependent on what you plan to do for flooring. I put industrial vinegar to kill the rust and it loosened the cement as well. I took a wire grinding wheel on my grinder to the floor and it came off pretty easily. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
I'd suggest that the importance of getting the cement off is completely dependent on what you plan to do for flooring. I put industrial vinegar to kill the rust and it loosened the cement as well. I took a wire grinding wheel on my grinder to the floor and it came off pretty easily. Good luck!
Just remembering that on of the long pole floor tile removers worked really well too
Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #4

Year: 2006
Would wire brushing the floor remove the galvanized finish on the steel. I think I want to avoid using the wire brush if I can, but I also don’t want to spend days scrubbing the floors. I will try some acetone or industrial vineagar
Pileatedtothepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Thanks!
use plywood rather than OSB, or you'll be pulling up the floors the first time someone spills some water - done many insurance repair jobs on house trailers with OSB floors, when the hot water tank leaked or the shower stall let water onto the floor, or even by the kitchen sink - OSB swells and delaminates when it gets wet
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
I've heard Advantek is extremely water resistant. Given we're basically sealing moisture from the underside, is it worth putting this in the bus so that anything that spills that get trapped eventually between the plywood and metal floor aren't as damaging? Or is this just being too paranoid?

Then again, is Advantek really that much better than plywood, or is it even?

Chris