Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Floor Patching

Just wondering, what some people use to patch up holes in the floor of their bus?? Up to about the size of a Quarter. I myself have used... bondo, hot melt glue, silicone... ect. Just wondering if there is something better, a better technique... ideas?

Thanks

Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #2

I've used j-b weld on the small ones... on some of the slightly larger ones I had to sort of do a layered application...building a crust around the hole, until I got it to close, then sanding the whole shebang down and painting it. Short of learning arc-welding I have no other Ideas, unfortunately.
wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #3

a piece of scrap steel and a mig
BUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Welding is the way to go. However, if you don't have access to a welder, you might look at using countersunk rivets for the smaller holes.

For quarter-sized ones, you might look into electrical knock-out seals (these wouldn't go completely flush, but the good ones are darn-near).

A. Moose
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I used a fiberglass bondo kit, seemed to work pritty good for the smaller holes - make sure you wear a glove though, thats some nasty stuff.

For the big hole over my fuel tank I used an old road sign I had and some liquid nails. Not that I think a road sign was the "best choice" I just happened to have one and thought I'd use that rather then buying some sheat metal.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

now that's a good Idea, very MacGyverish. I think I have some old road sign's hanging in the garage (from my delinquent School days) that would fit the bill for a lot of sheet metal usage. It's weatherproof, thin... damn that's a good Idea.
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

hmmm....seem's like we all have some old road signs lying around. I might cut some pieces out of the white reflective part of a speed limit sign to replace my flasher lights.

Do I see a connection between juvenile delinquency and skoolie ownership later in life????
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
For the big hole over my fuel tank I used an old road sign I had and some liquid nails. Not that I think a road sign was the "best choice" I just happened to have one and thought I'd use that rather then buying some sheat metal.
I like the road sign idea. But for those of us that may not have any layin around anymore (because of an ass-hole RA in college), Home Depot and Lowes has some pre-cut sheet metal for a pretty decent prices. Tractor Supply Co. has some available too.

Then for simplicity, I would probably overlap my patch sheet about an inch, and wrap the inside of it with seam sealer (available at auto supply store) and rivit it to the floor board.

I think I will be doing this process in a month or so, I'll be sure to post pictures.

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
I like the pre cut metal sheet idea, how did this work for you? I have considered this too, just know there are a lot of holes from 28 seats we have! Someone said polyurethane caulk would work to fill the holes and help with water sealing it as well. Anyone have thoughts on this or have done this?

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The method used will all depend on how long you want your bus to last.

5, 10, 20 or 40 years.

The better job and better materials used, the longer it will last.

Best is epoxy and metal patches.

That's what I did on my first bus 6 years ago.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Thanks!

Thanks for all for the tips! I am thinking of caulking with Buff Vulken 116 Polyurethane Sealant. It had good reviews at HD online, but am checking amazon too. Will update once we seal it. Going to try to do bottom side as much as possible, as well as interior floor.

Tremco 10.1-oz. Buff Vulkem 116 Polyurethane Sealant-7103012 - The Home Depot

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote