Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #161

Year: 2006
Okay I read the whole thread. Here is my plan.
And I have options and questions. Please tell me where I am wrong or could improve.
The floor is bare with holes and still has the one front partition with the grab rail by the door installed. I want to use this partition still but am unsure if I want to build up around it or remove it. If I remove it and then it is 2” higher because of the new floor then that messes up the railing grab bar placement which is why I want to keep it. I don’t want to have to move where the railing is on the partition.

Clean and mop floor with a degreaser like awesome.
Use rustoleum rust reformer on all rusted areas.
? Do I need to do non rusted areas too?
? Do I need to paint the floor if it is going to be covered with lnsulation and wood frame?
Plug holes with the elastomeric caulking I found ( maybe in addition to plastic plugs like I have seen recomended earlier or aluminum rv tape that I alreday have from my Shasta redo)
Use the auto rubber undercoating spray cans for the bottom under the holes.
Build frame around bus floor with cross braces every 2 feet and since we will re use some seats we need to make sure 2x4 or 2x6 is in spots where we will re bolt the legs in. . Use the foam insulation sheets to fit in the framed floor.
1/2 inch plywood.
Vinyl floor glue.
Vinyl floor roll.
Edge trim. ? 1/4 round nailed down and glued to wall.

What sucks is then that will raise the height of the seats on the new floor to where they will no longer rest on the metal rail on the wall so I will need to build up where I need the seats to rest by putting wood in and screwing it to the metal rail the reason I want to use the seats is I have three small children and the bus seats will act as our eating booth and they have the integrated child restraints in them to keep them safer when driving.
I need ideas and guidance please. 🙏🏻
I do not plan on any changes to the ceiling or walls. We only use the camper during nice weather and for 1 to 2 weeks at a time you basically want something comfortable to take our naps in while doing road trips and like the idea of being able to move furniture that I need to move from my families houses back to our house in a different state.

Elissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #162
Bus Nut

To fill the holes on my floor I bought a box of 5/32 x 7/8 washers and a couple of boxes of rivets. They were about $30. total.

I put a rivet and washer tru the top of the floor and someone went under the bus and held a washer on the bottom. I crimped the rivets and it sandwiched the washers over the hole. Took about 1-hour

There was about 5-10 holes that were over beams of exhaust that I could not get a washer on the bottom. I will probably epoxy pennies to these. lol
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #163
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You are right about the Chair Rail issue. I have a similar problem as I'd like to re-use two of my original seats.

I'm not happy with your "wood" idea though, I don't think wood is strong enough in this situation.

There are two other ways to deal with it.

1. Have someone shorten the original legs by the thickness of the floor raise. That can be done quite easily but it would lower the seat height a little.

2. Have metal spacers made for the chair rail. Again, this would be pretty cheap and you might be able to do it yourself with a drill press and some bar-stock. This would retain the original seat height.

Use Grade 8 bolts for both the chair rail and through the floor, and put some big washers under the floor. Better still, cut some small plates to spread the load between the underside of the floor and the nut.

You can also add seat belts when you do this. One of the reasons I want to make a dinette from the OEM seats is that they are much stronger than anything you can build from 2 x 4s and plywood, and they are the seats the passengers will travel in.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #164
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
floor thoughts/questions

I read this thread and I guess my big questions are these.

1)why wouldn't you just get down to the level rubber floor, clean it really well, then lay the subfloor over top of it... maybe a layer of insulation first, but rubber has insulation qualities of its own.
2) as far as the hole sealing... I assume you all are referring to the ones left behind by the removed seats. If so why wouldn't you just put the lock tight on the bolts you removed the grind the head off of them?

Maybe I am missing an obvious fact.. I'm a newbie after all.

P.s- My particular bus has no rust. If it had I can understand taking it down to metal
p.p.s- has any one looked to see what the "R" isolation factor for rhino liner is for the subfloor?
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #165
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post

1)why wouldn't you just get down to the level rubber floor, clean it really well, then lay the subfloor over top of it... maybe a layer of insulation first, but rubber has insulation qualities of its own.
2) as far as the hole sealing... I assume you all are referring to the ones left behind by the removed seats. If so why wouldn't you just put the lock tight on the bolts you removed the grind the head off of them?

P.s- My particular bus has no rust. If it had I can understand taking it down to metal
p.p.s- has any one looked to see what the "R" isolation factor for rhino liner is for the subfloor?
The factory flooring often looks ok and its rotten and rusty underneath. Its also pretty smelly. Headroom is at a premium so removing what's there helps in that regard too. If you only have the rubber floor and no plywood underneath its a lot easier.

The bolts that hold the seats have a nut underneath the bus. They don't go into a threaded hole in the floor.

Rhino liner has no insulation properties. There's simply no substitute for real insulation.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #166
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post

What you are missing is two things:

1. Most times the OEM plywood has to come out and the floor rust remediated. Occasionally there is none, but that is rare.

2. Most people need to preserve as much ceiling height as possible, so taking it down to the metal and adding insulation and a new sub-floor is optimum.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #167
Skoolie

What About Henry's Wet Patch 209 For Bolt Holes

Anyone tried this product? Says it can do holes up to 1/4" or 2" long without reinforcement. My holes are about 1/4". This stuff is for sealing roofs (including metal) and even can be applied under water. Its like the roof tar stuff.
I know someone on here was saying they did a bus and used the Henry's roof tar under plywood to cover the whole floor. Sorry, the search sucks I cant find the original post.
Anyone tried Henry's Wet Patch XR209?
Anyone think it will or will not work?

I am thinking I put a dollop in each hole and some in between then use a putty knife to smear across both holes.

What order would you apply?
scrape, rust reform, patch holes, then prime/paint?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Henry-Compa...alant/50255591

Thanks guys
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #168
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadderall View Post
I am thinking I put a dollop in each hole and some in between then use a putty knife to smear across both holes.
No clue on that. Might need to have something underneath even if it's just duct tape to keep it from dripping?

Quote:
What order would you apply?
scrape, rust reform, patch holes, then prime/paint?
No. I would scrape, rust reform, paint, then patch if you are using the rubberized stuff. I do NOT look at the link but I'd worry about paint sticking to it. Paint will stick to bare metal and the rubberized stuff should stick to it. I'd worry about the paint peeling as the top layer.

Just my 2˘.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #169
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
No clue on that. Might need to have something underneath even if it's just duct tape to keep it from dripping?

No. I would scrape, rust reform, paint, then patch if you are using the rubberized stuff. I do NOT look at the link but I'd worry about paint sticking to it. Paint will stick to bare metal and the rubberized stuff should stick to it. I'd worry about the paint peeling as the top layer.

Just my 2˘.
Good point I had not thought of that. So I will paint first. If I use a thick paint and or primer should also make the holes a bit smaller as well. I should probably put some drop cloths in the understorage to catch the drips.

Do you think the paint or primer will cover the small nails holes, or do I need to patch those too?
fadderall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #170
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadderall View Post
Good point I had not thought of that. So I will paint first. If I use a thick paint and or primer should also make the holes a bit smaller as well. I should probably put some drop cloths in the understorage to catch the drips.

Do you think the paint or primer will cover the small nails holes, or do I need to patch those too?
Paint or primer will not "cover" nail holes unless the hole fills with paint first.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #171
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas Build
Engine: 466E
Rated Cap: 66
Could you patch the holes with the side paneling metal and liquid nail?

What are the steps for the floor, after it's at the metal point (I wanna make sure I'm doing this right lol) I have little to no rust.

Also planning on spraying underneath...

We would just clean it with Krud Kutter? patch. Then?
Rustoleum?

Sorry super new and trying to do things right!
WanderlustExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #172
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustExistence View Post
Could you patch the holes with the side paneling metal and liquid nail?

What are the steps for the floor, after it's at the metal point (I wanna make sure I'm doing this right lol) I have little to no rust.

Also planning on spraying underneath...

We would just clean it with Krud Kutter? patch. Then?
Rustoleum?

Sorry super new and trying to do things right!
You will want to get rid of any "loose" rust, wash with Simple Green or equivalent, then treat it with Prep and Etch or Ospho (same product, Ospho cost a lot more). This will convert any rust and stop it from rusting any more. Then prime/paint after sealing holes.
Spray underneath what?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #173
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You will want to get rid of any "loose" rust, wash with Simple Green or equivalent, then treat it with Prep and Etch or Ospho (same product, Ospho cost a lot more). This will convert any rust and stop it from rusting any more. Then prime/paint after sealing holes.
Spray underneath what?
Marc, I just need to hire you as a consultant lol. You're awesome. Thanks for answering my many or many more newby questions!

We were going to do some spray rustoleum under the bus for some added protection. Still debating on if it's worth it or not.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #174
Bus Geek

Quote:
Marc, I just need to hire you as a consultant lol. You're awesome. Thanks for answering my many or many more newby questions!

We were going to do some spray rustoleum under the bus for some added protection. Still debating on if it's worth it or not.
What kind of "spray rustoleum"?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #175
Almost There

I'll have to ask my bf. I could be completely wrong and confusing it with something entirely different because this is all new lol.

But I think there was a spray paint stuff for rust we saw and thought it may be something worth trying for underneath the bus, better than nothing. If I'm not confusing it, it was at Lowe's and was the same kind of stuff you'd use on the floors but in a can. Am I completely lost here? Lol
Old 07-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #176
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'll have to ask my bf. I could be completely wrong and confusing it with something entirely different because this is all new lol.

But I think there was a spray paint stuff for rust we saw and thought it may be something worth trying for underneath the bus, better than nothing. If I'm not confusing it, it was at Lowe's and was the same kind of stuff you'd use on the floors but in a can. Am I completely lost here? Lol
You do realize the undercarriage may be caked in grease and grime and will need thorough cleaning before any rust proofing paint will stick.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #177
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You do realize the undercarriage may be caked in grease and grime and will need thorough cleaning before and rust proofing paint will stick.
Ah, makes sense. Sounds like too much work lol. It looks like it was sprayed with something already. We have been fortunate with little rust at all.

Do people do anything under the bus for rust protection typically or is it senseless?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #178
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ah, makes sense. Sounds like too much work lol. It looks like it was sprayed with something already. We have been fortunate with little rust at all.

Do people do anything under the bus for rust protection typically or is it senseless?
Typically the major rust issues come from standing water. Usually water from wet shoes and what ever else bad weather gets on the floor, migrates down under the plywood and starts to corrode. Typically the windows leak. Under the bus gets wet but dries quickly in the exposed atmosphere. Most of the rust you see under a bus is superficial surface rust, normal. If you see rusted through holes to the inside, it came from the inside out. Others have talked about doing spray foam under the bus, but there are too many obstacles in the way to do it properly.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #179
Bus Geek

Quote:

You want to treat the rust first, then paint it.
Painting over rust only makes it worse.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #180
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You want to treat the rust first, then paint it.
Painting over rust only makes it worse.
Rustoleum makes a something that looks like paint called rust reformer. But someone told me the PAIL of rust reformer is what you want, not the spray can. It's different and significantly better.