Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Is paint applied directly to foam really going to work out..? I would think that the paint layer would tear when the foam dents etc.
I agree.

I think a layer of fiberglass may be needed?

Tankswap, what are your thoughts.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
it will stick to t&g ply properly screwed down , fill all voids for a smooth finish
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: P30
Engine: 6.2l Chevy
Rated Cap: 36 passemger
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
I bought rubber flooring for my bus. Glued it to the plywood. I bought it from homedepot online sales. Its for garage floors for a parking mat. It looks like "diamond plate" although they had "coin" style also.
would you happen to have a picture of the flooring in your bus? i seen this stuff and it comes in 7 1/2 foot wide rolls which is perfect for buses
ohanabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
When we evicted our tenants from our mobile home, we had to remove all of the carpeting through out. Due to the damage caused by them, we had no choice at the time (financially) but to move in while repairing all the damage that had occurred before we could even think of selling the place .

I do not plan to go into details as I am only writing to talk about what we did about the flooring only because the outcome has led us to decide that we were going to do the same in our bus.

As mentioned, we removed carpeting, padding & staples and put down 2 coats of Kilz to the subfloor.

We then masked off the floors in 12X12 squares and applied a soft green exterior porch and deck enamel with a sea sponge in a daubing motion. When we removed the tape we were left with "tiles" through out.

Not one person that came in realized that we had not tiled the place after we told them.

What has led us to do the same in our bus is the fact that we have been here now 10 years, with 3 large dogs and 2 adults walking on our fake tiles and can honestly admit that it has taken 8 of those years before we can honestly say that the wear is starting to show.

Because of this experience, we will be doing the same in our bus, once all else is done except possibly 4X4 or even 2X2 squares. Also, by doing our floors this way we can easily paint under any changes to the layout should we have to pull out and furniture or cabinets without worrying about covering up the floor underneath or keep any replacement the same dimensions as what may be removed.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Someone here has posted pics of their bus with painted floors. It looks great. The pattern is unique and colors go great together. I don't remember who but maybe they will chime in.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanabus View Post
would you happen to have a picture of the flooring in your bus? i seen this stuff and it comes in 7 1/2 foot wide rolls which is perfect for buses
check it out. I don't have pic from the bus. NewAge Products 9 ft. x 20 ft. Gray VersaRoll PVC Flooring-10190 - The Home Depot
leadsled01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #37
Bus Geek

No paint I know of is even close to tough enough for a floor.

I my self need something that can take a rock in a work boot without needing to be repainted or replaced.

The nice thick rubber diamond mat in the 7.5 feet wide by 20 foot rolls are more realistic.

Vinyl plank will also handle the abuse. Walmart demonstrated that for us by installing it in their clothing section.

No wood in a floor to rot for me. Did you all not learn from the plywood you pulled out of the bus?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
No wood in a floor to rot for me. Did you all not learn from the plywood you pulled out of the bus?

I understand the point your trying to make....but then again how many years has that plywood been down. Ours was down for 23 years before we pulled it up and there wasn't any that was rotted.

Chances are good that we will either be dead or no longer in the bus in 2038 and if history repeats itself the wood we be still good when the next owner pulls it up to look for rust.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:20 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post

I understand the point your trying to make....but then again how many years has that plywood been down. Ours was down for 23 years before we pulled it up and there wasn't any that was rotted.

Chances are good that we will either be dead or no longer in the bus in 2038 and if history repeats itself the wood we be still good when the next owner pulls it up to look for rust.
True, in your case.

This is again a case of we all have different needs.

However, around 90% of the floors pulled on this site are rotted, have have held moisture that has caused damage to the steel floor.

Now, around 80% of you may treat you bus as a sock feet environment, the other 20% of us need real tough flooring, and a subfloor base that is not affected by the continuous introduction of moisture from our boots.

Now with the thought that the bus may only be a sock feet environment may give the impression that no water will enter on feet. Unfortunately there is a good chance water will still leak into your bus from the outside, the internal plumbing, or spillage from the shower, ect.

In my life style, I don't take my boots off all day once I put them on in the morning. My home must be able to take that harsh wear and tear.

In a house, this would be porcelain tile. In a bus like this, that's not practical, so my vinyl plank is next best.

Rotted wood in kitchens and bathrooms of places I have rented for insane amounts of money is one of the leading factors that drove me to building a bus.

IMO wood does not belong in wet environments.

Nat