Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Flooring idea (feedback requested)

While pondering my options for flooring, seeking something durable and nonslip, I thought of using aluminum diamond plate. It's available in 4x8 sheets, and I thought the diamond plate would help make it nonslip. Yes, I know about electrolysis between aluminum and steel, so I'd probably give the two some separation with some 1/4" underlayment plywood.

Anyone done this? How'd it work? What did you do? What would you do differently? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Feedback?

As always, thanks in advance.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
It isn't very homey... I mean walking on that stuff barefoot might be uncomfortable. I have had diamond plate on truck beds, and it's still pretty slick when wet or oily. If your liking the industrial look they make a "diamond plate" rubber floor for garages..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Depends what you are using the space for. If it is living, then I agree with above, sounds miserable to walk on. Engineered hardwood is durable, easily installed, looks good, and cleans well. If utility is what you are after, get those rubber puzzle gym mats (or they make ones specifically for garages).
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Ah yes, I forgot to include what I plan to use it for. Actually I haven't decided but it will probably remain a passenger-hauler. Some manner of industrial carpet may work better for party-wagon or limo type service (which can be had in festive or conservative styles).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Diamond plate makes more sense now, easy to hose out when complete.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I saw a post here a few, up to 6 months ago, about a bus specific flooring for commercial application. One sheet, wall to wall and very durable. In a multitude of patterns/colors. May have been Tango that posted it... Looked really cool and may be what you are looking for.
Diamond plate would also work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
They do make steel diamond plate that's MUCH cheaper than aluminum.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I would use closed cell foam board between the floor and diamond plate. It would give you both sound dampening and thermal insulation. It wouldn't absorb water like plywood. Although more expensive I would stick with the aluminum no paint to maintain or potential for rust.

I'm thinking about using radiant floor heat with pex routed into rigid foam with aluminum diamond plate over the top. The aluminum would transfer the heat evenly and more quickly than plywood subfloor and covering.

If you go with the diamond plate let me know how you like it.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I would use closed cell foam board between the floor and diamond plate. It would give you both sound dampening and thermal insulation. It wouldn't absorb water like plywood. Although more expensive I would stick with the aluminum no paint to maintain or potential for rust.

I'm thinking about using radiant floor heat with pex routed into rigid foam with aluminum diamond plate over the top. The aluminum would transfer the heat evenly and more quickly than plywood subfloor and covering.

If you go with the diamond plate let me know how you like it.

Bringing this back.. I see you are still in progress on the bus..

Im planning on using 1in XPS foam on my steps with a layer of 1/8 aluminum treadplate on top. Wasnt planning on plywooding under the aluminum.. Any idea if that will be squishy or if should add 1/4 as well to firm it up a bit?

That also got me thinking. to do the same thing with my drivers floor (Which i will add 1inch steel spacer bushings for the driver seat mount..

As to which i asked my wife... would you hate the look of aluminum treadplate as a floor? Suprisingly she said it would be fine, She wants to snap in a rug down our hallway anyway. So im not sold on the idea, but without doing a roof raise, seems like it would be a way to keep the floor down.

The alternative is 1in XPS, 1/2plywood and linoleum or laminate floor. The thinking here, is that the linolum is super durable and could be put down before the walls. In the event we hate it or it wears, we could lay flooring over the top in the future.

We were just checking and the tread plate on my engine cover has held up well. so there's no worry of durability. If i were to install, i would probably lay it over the XPS and then build walls on top of it, with some soundmat sandwiched between. The self tappers or bolts that hold the walls down would be the only thing thermally coupling the sheet metal to the aluminum.

Someone tell me if this is a bad idea please. I still have to price it out locally, but i found it online for about $200 a sheet which sounds steep, but plywood is still around $50 and this would be easy peasy finished floor.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
We used the same 1/8" aluminum diamond-plate for the 'floor' directly under the driver's seat. It's actually 3 separate 1/2" plywood sections bonded together with insulation filling all voids possible and the diamond-plate on top. Here's a link to that post:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/m...tml#post464272

My thoughts:

1) The aluminum diamond plate can and will scratch. Easily. If that's going to be a problem for you, aesthetically speaking, I'd choose something else.

2) I wouldn't want the whole floor covered for a variety of reasons. Sound reflection, light reflection, heat. Plus - despite the pattern - it can be a little slippery when wet. For that reason I wouldn't really want it for steps either.

3) I don't know that I'd trust it to provide enough rigidity over foam board. In our floor insert it's just that over foam board in the two insulated cut-outs you can see in those pics, but they're tiny. Over an entire floor - just conjecture - but I wouldn't trust it not to deform and cause pinpoint compression in places where you have a lot of weight in a small footprint.

4) If you have animals, they'll hate you. And if they have nails, you'll hate them (lol).

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:39 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I am not going with the diamond plate now. I found some aluminum extrusions "boards" that are around 3/8 thick x 8 inche wide. The plan now is to install over xps foam and then cover with something, possibly bed liner.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
We used the same 1/8" aluminum diamond-plate for the 'floor' directly under the driver's seat. It's actually 3 separate 1/2" plywood sections bonded together with insulation filling all voids possible and the diamond-plate on top. Here's a link to that post:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/m...tml#post464272

My thoughts:

1) The aluminum diamond plate can and will scratch. Easily. If that's going to be a problem for you, aesthetically speaking, I'd choose something else.

2) I wouldn't want the whole floor covered for a variety of reasons. Sound reflection, light reflection, heat. Plus - despite the pattern - it can be a little slippery when wet. For that reason I wouldn't really want it for steps either.

3) I don't know that I'd trust it to provide enough rigidity over foam board. In our floor insert it's just that over foam board in the two insulated cut-outs you can see in those pics, but they're tiny. Over an entire floor - just conjecture - but I wouldn't trust it not to deform and cause pinpoint compression in places where you have a lot of weight in a small footprint.

4) If you have animals, they'll hate you. And if they have nails, you'll hate them (lol).

Okay, after my local quote of $300 a sheet for 1/8 treadplate, its out on the main floor. My engine cover has a mill finish and looks pretty good (cant see scratches after 20 years). I'm not a fan of the reflection of the polished finish.

Thanks for sharing your driver floor. I'm on the fence as the rubber is actually really comfortable for my driver foot. I'm certainly peeling it up to put insulation down, Wonder if i can source the rubber again for that section.

Yeah, im concern on the slickness of the stepwell. Ill have to put some water on my engine cover and see how that is.. I also saw a picture where someone did polished treadplate on every bit of the stepwell and i wasn't a fan of the look. I was at least thinking i would do a T$G wood on the vertical pieces to break it up.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I am not going with the diamond plate now. I found some aluminum extrusions "boards" that are around 3/8 thick x 8 inche wide. The plan now is to install over xps foam and then cover with something, possibly bed liner.

Ted

Nice. thanks for checking back in. May want to use an epoxy primer over that aluminum before bedlinering it. You can probably just roll it since your texturing it anyway..