Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Framing floor

I’ve seen a lot of pros and cons to framing the bus floor. Lately I’ve been seeing people gluing insulation down and then plywood right on top of it. We are trying to save inches as we aren’t doing a roof raise. Tell me if you framed the floor or skipped it! I’m wondering what you bolted your furniture to, if you did skip the framing.
CC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I laid one layer of polyiso 1/2" and one layer of 1" rigid pink. Cut tight to prevent movement. I laid the vapor barrier and snap together laminate flooring floating on top. Fixtures will be attached to wall ribs.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC08 View Post
Iíve seen a lot of pros and cons to framing the bus floor. Lately Iíve been seeing people gluing insulation down and then plywood right on top of it. We are trying to save inches as we arenít doing a roof raise. Tell me if you framed the floor or skipped it! Iím wondering what you bolted your furniture to, if you did skip the framing.
Doing a free-floating floor or doing "joists" (essentially wooden furring strips on the floor with cut strips of foam in between) won't really affect the height of your floor, which is determined by the height of the insulation + the height of your flooring (plywood + vinyl sheeting, for example) in both cases. Except insofar as wood is not as good an insulator as foam (about R1 per inch vs. R4), so the more of your layer underneath the plywood is composed of the wood furring strips instead of foam, the less good its insulation factor will be (this is pretty minor though).

Not all foams have the same resistance to compression, however, so they're theoretically not all suitable for a floating floor (although I've seen all of them used in this way).
Old 06-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird All American
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 27
We are thinking about thin insulation for the floors also to save head space. Then a thin sheet of pvc over it as our floor base. It’s sturdy and less flammable lol. Would this work and do we need to frame the floor or can we screw into the structure? I would think definitely frame it but trying to save where we can.
Shawn & Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor help