Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 L
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via AIM to Kyle
General Maintenance

Hello all,
I am nearing the completion of my skoolie conversion. Well I'm not sure it will ever be done but...I digress. I was wondering if there was anyone here who has done general maintenance on their skoolie and could help me out.

I have a 1989 International 7.3L and was looking for some help. I would like to do as much maintenance as I can to this thing myself, but I realize there may be some things I should leave to the pros. My skoolie has been driven once every month or so for the past two years. She isn't due for an oil change mileage wise, but she is time wise. I'd like to replace all of the filters/fluids, I just need some guidance.

As a side note, I was also wondering what types of checks you guys were going through pre and post drives. As a side note, my bus has a Wayne body with air brakes.

Also, I just got her insured!!

Thanks in advance.

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: General Maintenance

change the oil and filters, check all of the suspension for worn/loose bushings,fasteners and linkages, grease all of fittings.
get a copy of the cdl license manual and use it for a pretrip walk around inspection.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #3

Thanks Paul.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Also, my bus takes her time to start. usually I have to continue to crank the bus (maybe 7,8 times) over the course of a half hour. She always starts, and the battery holds a charge. But, as I mentioned earlier, I only drive it about once a month, and this has been true for about 2 years now. I haven't put anything in the diesel to keep algae from growing/etc. I do bleed the water from the diesel though. Anything else I should be looking at?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Bus Nut

sounds like a fuelline between the liftpump and injector pump is letting air into the system, check for hairline cracks at the nuts/flanges on the ends of the lines and at the mounting brackets and clamps for the lines.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks again Paul, I'll be sure and check that out the next chance I get.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Czar
The E brake on my bus however has absolutely nothing to do with the hydraulic system. (locks tranny\drivetrain) and would be no help whatsoever.
Do you have a big drum hanging off the back of the transmission? This is actually a very common, effective, acceptable form of parking AND emergency brake. It is actually tremendously effective because the braking force is transmitted through the differential resulting in a astronomical amounts of mechanical advantage due to the gearing. The only disadvantage is that brake fade can be a problem as it spins so much faster than wheel speed, but that really only affects people running pinion brakes as their service brakes, not their parking/emergency brake.