Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love those gauges that are programmable!. you can also measure your tank depth and bend the float to the proper arc for true empty to full if need be.. I like my float to bottom out where its still above the fuel pickup.. so I have some "fumes" to run on when Im reading E.
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love those gauges that are programmable!. you can also measure your tank depth and bend the float to the proper arc for true empty to full if need be.. I like my float to bottom out where its still above the fuel pickup.. so I have some "fumes" to run on when Im reading E.
-Christopher
These SpeedHut gauges were not free but they are beautiful; maybe someday I will get to see them all in action... For the record I misspoke about the original sending unit, not that it matters, but it was 0-90 ohms, not 0-30 ohms... I like your float idea, but I'll just set the programmable low warning light on my fuel gauge to come on.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #103
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner WestCoast-ER
Engine: CAT 3116 TA 250
As the owner of a bus with a janky instrument cluster that's mostly hidden by the steering wheel, this thread is super-informative and inspiring.

The results you've achieved so far could be accurately described as being "bad as hell."

Thanks for posting this thread and especially for the detailed links to the exact products you're using. I was curious about switching to a push-to-start system, and didn't really know where to look.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #104
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I continue to slowly get the dashboard figured out. I have the design of the driver side console finalized and hope to start building this weekend. I finished assembling the switch panel and wired up the switch lighting. I really like the etched rocker switches. I was also able to mount the transmission gear indicator LED on the panel as well.

Not a great pic but shows the lit up switches...
What material are those switch pods mounted to? I am redesigning my dash and haven't found an adequate backer for the switches I am going to keep.

https://www.instagram.com/pilgrim_days/
DrDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #105
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISM / Allison B500 Combo
This is pure awesomeness... I have a Gillig Phantom 2001 High Floor, I'm redesigning the dashboard but not as deep as you are, I ran into a problem where the bus doesn't start anymore and its been 5 months and I have not been able to figure it out. Looking for a knowledgeble Gillig person that I can fly to Florida to help me figure it out, whatever the cost is.
caioalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #106
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by caioalmeida View Post
This is pure awesomeness... I have a Gillig Phantom 2001 High Floor, I'm redesigning the dashboard but not as deep as you are, I ran into a problem where the bus doesn't start anymore and its been 5 months and I have not been able to figure it out. Looking for a knowledgeble Gillig person that I can fly to Florida to help me figure it out, whatever the cost is.
If you'll PM me an email address, I can send you a factory service manual for one of our 2001 Gillig Phantoms. It's got a good electrical section, which might help. The file is 15 MB so it's too big to post here.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #107
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISM / Allison B500 Combo
Thank you so much my friend, I actually ordered all of the schematics and manuals from Gillig and I have all of them, what I don't have is the knowledge to use it
caioalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #108
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International Genesis
Engine: Navistar D466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
So I pulled the dash and gauge pod for what I hope will be the last time. I was not happy with my initial wiring job, and I decided to make a few layout changes as well.

Here is a final "bench check" of all the switch and instrument lighting. All is good with the lighting. FWIW the switch and gauge lighting (+ gauge power) is pulling ~1.8A

I also revised the dash panel (goes over the hole on the lower left of the dash). I had to reroute the parking brake air lines but I like the parking brake actuator much better on the panel than when it was on the console. On my initial drive home with the bus, I was always concerned that I might inadvertently release the brake. The silver knobs are the wipers and the small black knob is the dimmer for the gauges.

How hard was moving the Park Brake switch? I have bumped mine with my hip several times either reaching over the dash or squeezing past it, and I'm on the smaller size!!! I suppose at the very least I could move the box that it's mounted to further back so it doesn't protrude? Why on earth would they make it so you press the button to release it?? lol
Delos356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #109
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its MUCH better for press to release, if you are in a truck and accidentilly bumped the knob at 70 MPH going down the road reaching for your star-bucks in the cupholder.. pressing it in.. lets say it were designed to apply the brakes on push-in you would grenade the whole rear end of the vehicle and / or crash!!

its much tougher to pull it out by accident..

on mine it just has 2 air lines going to the back of it.. relocating it would be just moving it where the air lines would reach or lreplacing air line to make them reach..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #110
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Pretty amazing upgrade and fun getting to see the process!
Big WOW! Thank you for the extra work posting the photos too.

You get to rest your arms across that almost horizontal steering wheel, love them like that for long hauling.

John
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #111

Year: 2007
I just read through this whole thread and WOW. The transformation is incredible. 100/10 epic dash
Mobbs is offline   Reply With Quote