Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
Would there be a way of stepping it down to 60 hertz?
Technically yes, but economically probably not. You'd have to really want that generator to make it worthwhile. The conversion could be done mechanically via a rotary converter: literally a motor designed to work with the input, coupled to a generator head designed to produce the required output. It also could be done electronically by converting the generator's output to dc and feeding it into an appropriate inverter, similar to those used to make 120 V ac from battery power. I don't know whether either style would be commercially available though.

One other thing I just remembered: I was surprised to note years ago that my DeWalt DW402 angle grinder mentioned it could run from dc. I guess some engine-driven welding machines also have an accessory output, but it's dc. So this grinder could run on your 400 Hz source too, possibly with a diode in series. I think that's the type called a "universal" motor; I wonder how common those are in tools/appliances.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
allwthrrider, do you currently have a generator creating 400Hz AC? I've not heard of such a thing.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
allwthrrider, do you currently have a generator creating 400Hz AC? I've not heard of such a thing.
Lets just say If needed I have access but if I tell you I'd have to kill you
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
Lets just say If needed I have access but if I tell you I'd have to kill you
I'm not gonna touch that with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

Jazty, 115 V 400Hz is common in aircraft. Portable generators with those specs are often found on air fields, and of course that equipment is eventually retired like any other equipment. The higher operating frequency apparently allows generators and transformers to be produced physically smaller and lighter than their 60 Hz counterparts.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I'm not gonna touch that with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole!

Jatzy, 115 V 400Hz is common in aircraft. Portable generators with those specs are often found on air fields, and of course that equipment is eventually retired like any other equipment. The higher operating frequency apparently allows generators and transformers to be produced physically smaller and lighter than their 60 Hz counterparts.
Give the man a cigar;)
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Anything that uses an induction motor is not going to work on 400 HZ, will most likely overheat but hopefully blow a breaker first, straight resistance (no fan) heaters will work, power tools with brush type universal motors will work, normal inductance transformers will probably put out strange voltages
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:41 AM   #87
Mini-Skoolie

keepin' it cool

Can I get sufficient juice out of the alternator to run a window a/c unit via an inverter? If not, what's the best way to stay cool on the road?
beyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyns View Post
Can I get sufficient juice out of the alternator to run a window a/c unit via an inverter? If not, what's the best way to stay cool on the road?

Your best bet is a generator.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #89
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyns View Post
If you have a large 200 amp plus coach style alternator, yes it can be done.

Cost wise, and less parts to break, the generator is the better way.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #90

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Diesel pusher
Plasma, I'm so glad I saw this post. I am hoping to start installing electrical on my bus soon. Like other users I have no idea how to start. I have a diesel Plasma, I'm so glad I saw this post. I am hoping to start installing electrical on my bus soon. Like other users I have no idea how to start. I have a diesel Thomas bus. And I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to install electrical on this thing. I need to power a refrigerator, A hot water heater and hopefully sometimes an air conditioner...although, I'm not sure if it would be better to have the AC run off the engine power. Also need to power although, I'm not sure if it would be better to have the AC run off the engine power. Also need to power electronics such as iPhone laptop iPad etc. lastly, I like the bus to be able to take normal power if we park somewhere so I can just plug it directly into the grid. Anyway, I don't have a huge budget and the prospect of spending $5000 on a diesel generator sounds terrible. Would you be able to give me some advice?
websterwagon is offline   Reply With Quote