Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had anything damaged by an inverter?
Yes, using a modified sine wave inverter 0 0%
Yes, using a true sine wave inverter 0 0%
No, using a modified sine wave inverter 6 60.00%
No, using a true sine wave inverter 1 10.00%
I don't have one 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
Have you had anything damaged by an inverter?

Please add comments on type, brand & model inverter and the length of time you've been using it (include your poll answer).

trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
trx
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx
Another option added....

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
You need another option -- "No, I don't have one yet!"

Cheers!

-Mac
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

i have not damaged anything with my inverter.....but i've damaged my share of inverters. For example: a jellow shot was dropped by some careless person onto the top of my 2000w inverter. A few minutes later when the jello had liquified and seeped into the inverter smoke began filling the interior of the bus. Not just a little smoke, but tons of smoke! enough to set off the smoke detector 15 feet away. The new problem is that the inverter's guts were glowing red hot and it's bolted to 00 welding cable with toxic nausous smelling smoke everywhere.....that was a drag!

Another one i lost when i was painting the inside of the bus the first time using alluminum flaked paint. I had some florescent lights running off of the inverter. The cooling fan sucked enough metallic paint into the unit that the inverter soon stopped working.

I destroyed two other inverters with improper wireing. I'm not sure why two other's quit working. I've destroyed at least 6 inverters. Most were 750 watt or smaller, but never had any devices stop working because of the inverter.

I have ran all kinds of things from a full size freezer, to my lap top that has run for hundreds of hours, turntables, all kinds of electronic sound and stage equipment, tools, lights, tv, dvd player, stereo, vacuum cleaners, chargers for all kinds of stuff including my video camera, digital camera, phone, ect, even hair clippers, battery chargers,

i'm sure theres more....but inverters have proven to be very useful to me